No announcement yet.

A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ exactly. I have very little patience with display cars that won't start.

The Pete Brock response is impressive Simon!

And did you rattle can the engine compartment, or is that with a gun?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
      The Pete Brock response is impressive Simon!

And did you rattle can the engine compartment, or is that with a gun?
      I encourage anyone who wants to here from the man himself to sign up for his blog. You can ask him questions directly

I cleaned and scuffed the inner fenders until I felt the surface was ready for some paint. 2-3 coats of some Paint-Match in a can, then 2-3 coats of clear. Good enough for the inner fenders and this car.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Quick little side tangent, "what the hell am I doing" project complete.

Back Story, when I moved the hood to test fit the Champion radiator, I thought "this seems a little heavy" but after staring at it for a while it was obvious that there really isnt much that can be done to drop weight. Then the "hold my beer" thought came into effect...

Pulled the hinges off.. Paint was flaking off and I saw plenty of meat on those bones

No turning back now!

Getting there

Admiring my work haha

One drilled and the other one ready to go

Almost done. I wouldve loved to just sand them to metal, but that wasnt in the cards

And the Finished product. Did I actually shed any weight? probably. Do I regret doing it. Nope

Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

i like it.

Here is some inspiration.

Now that I recently picked up a shiny new (used) drill press, I'm ready to start putting holes in every little thing I can find. I love the old 917
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            i like it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...out-parts.html

I also bought a hole saw, I’m not totally done with the hood yet lol... that thread might get me in trouble, but thank you. Always looking for inspiration

edit: Not even 5 minutes in, and I know that Im going to need to drill some more holes in the hood than originally planned, and I might have to make a second pass back at those hood hinges lol
            Last edited by 2mAn; 05-19-2019, 01:16 PM.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

I’m particularly proud of my artwork in post 285 of that drilled parts thread.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

i like it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...out-parts.html
                lol, wow. I was not expecting that. Almost like a car part thread made to freak out people who have Trypophobia.

Comment

Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

That's pretty damn funny!

Comment

Barnfinds.com - looks like what BaT used to be.

As temperatures climb and summertime quickly approaches, it’s easy to imagine yourself behind the wheel of a fun-to-drive convertible. This 1967 Datsun 1600 Fairlady is available here on eBay with no reserve, and it certainly serves as a tempting example of this increasingly rare roadster. This Datsun is available in Dade City, Florida with a...

Comment

That’s the after, and this is the before? Would you have known the difference?

Carefully measured and bought a 24mm hole saw which is the same size as the existing OEM holes were.

Look at all the weight I saved! Lol

Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

oo all the weight savings

it all helps

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                            oo all the weight savings

it all helps
                            yes. every single bit...

Tonight I had a little bit of time in the garage and got some quick things crossed off the To-DO list. First was to carefully take the cutting wheel to the insulator with the stripped threads... destroyed the nut and part of the stud, but no damage or metal shreds near the carb.

Took a pic of the other side of the stud and ... yup... stripped all right

The other major news is that after a week of on and off evaporust baths, MOST of the LSD is totally clean of any rust. I couldnt totally submerge the main case so theres a stripe in the middle of it

Eagle eye viewers will notice that theres a few important pieces missing from the parts laid out, but I hope to have a solution soon. If you have an idea, Im all ears because its going to the rear end shop on monday along with the 4.38
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Update time:

- Found the missing LSD gears on 311s.org and had those shipped to Hoopers to complete the 4.38 with LSD. Love the help and support from the members there, I truly couldnt do it without their help. I hope thats ready by next Friday.

- Schneider Cams has all the numbers they need and will cut my custom cam next Wednesday. Hope that TEM Machine has it by next Friday also. Kevin @ Schneider Cams decided to make a custom cam thats basically a B-cam on the intake side with the same lift and duration, but more duration and a tad more lift on the exhaust to help scavenging and to carry the power band. Should be pretty fun from 3-7k rpms

-Rich @ TEM Machine is just about done and once he has the cam will likely have it all ready to send out, so I should have some serious work waiting for me in the near future...

For now the plan is to get the diff back and installed so I can be done with the rear and have the front assembly left. I have some interior changes coming but not sure what that timeline looks like because I want to get the car running.

One update I can report on was my Windage Tray and the cracks it had. Will (BlackbirdM3) was able to take care of it for me as I didnt feel confident with anyone in my area to handle it properly. You can see his hard work below...

Some Before / In Process shots he took...

in progress of the repair

repaired / brazed crack

Repaired Windage Tray

and heres the pan ready to go, pretty much. Will said he will clean up and chase the threads before calling it done

Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

This wasn't just a crack repair, this whole part was broken off. It was a complete separate piece. There were two other pieces that had completely broken free as well.

Why did I braze it rather than weld it? Simple really, someone threw my mild steel filler rod out My original plan was to weld it, but when I had nothing else to work with, brazing rod was it. That said, I brazed my tray nearly 20 years ago and it hasn't broken, and it was in far worse shape than this one, so I'm confident that this won't have any issues in the future. Unlike on mine, I brazed both sides of each crack this time around.

Will
                                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X