92 Mtech cabrio...with Tesla power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    Don't forget that BMW itself has also been building electric cars for over 45 years (starting with a 1602 electric prototype in 1972). BMW has built electric versions as prototypes for every generation since, well before the 'i' division, and no Tesla is not light years ahead.

Here's the factory electric e30 (built in collaboration with ABB - ie. the main sponsor of Formula E). Looking forward to how the project here progresses!

Little factoid.. this was the only front wheel drive E30!
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Couple more pics. Interior work from Ninestitch. Some layout of the battery mounting and front/rear split

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
      10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

I'd love to come see this when done! Great work
        1991 318is
        2004 330ci
        2011 335d

Comment

inb4 tesla haters come out of the woodwork. Oh wait too late.

Bad idea? more like Awesome idea. Didn't know you could get a quaife for that power unit! Any idea how much all that weights compared to the v8 + fuel tank?

Comment

Awesome. It's clear this is THE swap of all swaps. I'd imagine a ton of additional reinforcement would need to be done to make sure the body can handle it. Hats off to you for grabbing the bull by the horns.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

This is amazing!! Can't wait to see how this turns out. This is going to be the next generation of modding soon, the swaps will be electric once the parts get cheaper and the knowledge is there.
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Agreed - especially once model 3s start getting crashed in decent numbers :)

The battery packs look like they'll be a neat fit! Is the gear selector just for show or will it be used to select forward / reverse?
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  Agreed - especially once model 3s start getting crashed in decent numbers :)

The battery packs look like they'll be a neat fit! Is the gear selector just for show or will it be used to select forward / reverse?
                  293 likes, 22 comments - Jon Volk, formerly tesla_bimmer (@depreciated.i8) on Instagram on December 20, 2018: "F-N-R"

Comment

Been following this for awhile now on IG. Loving the progress on this build
                    Continuous For Sale Thread
                    323i s50

Comment

So will this thing be the heaviest E30 when its done?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        So will this thing be the heaviest E30 when its done?
                        No. Itll be the same or lighter than the LS swap at 3150lbs.
                        Motor is 295lbs, battery is about 600 between all the modules.

Comment

Originally posted by jon volk View Post
                          No. Itll be the same or lighter than the LS swap at 3150lbs.
                          Motor is 295lbs, battery is about 600 between all the modules.
                          Will that still have the same range as the Tesla did? I thought they had quite the battery pack
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

It’ll be around 100 miles. I’m using two Chevy volt packs, not Tesla stuff. I wasn’t willing to pay $18k for batteries.

Comment

Several ago at the Blue Ridge BBQ in Asheville, there was an e30 with a forklift engine in it. If I can find the pic I'll post it but it was certainly an interesting car. I think he said he got 25-50 miles from a charge
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I’m more concerned with performance than range. The Volt batteries will support 1200 amps continuous for a period.
                                Last edited by jon volk; 01-04-2019, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X