E30 Weird Wiper Behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Weird Wiper Behavior

When I bought my E30 the PO said the wipers were working the day before, but clearly didn't when I bought it as they didn't react at all, they just didn't move. So i read the forums and went through all the standard steps.

I replaced the relay, I bench tested the motor and it spins when 12V is applied directly from the battery. I then tested the clip and it read ~12V when I touched the pin with the red/black wire regardless of which position the wiper stalk was in. I then connected the clip back to the motor, it spun for a second and then stopped and hasn't done that again and I haven't been able to replicate it. Any suggestions on what to try next or if anyone has experienced this before I'd love to hear what you did.

There's a few things that could be going on. Since you replaced the relay and validated that the motor at least runs, that's a good start. It running for a second when you plugged it back in is a good sign for the motor, it means it was returning to home position, which should indicate that the contacts inside the motor are okay.

That being said, it sounds like probably the stalk. Unplug the motor, and with they key set to the accessory position, move the stalk to the slow position, and check the black/yellow wire in the plug to ground. You should get 12V. Then move the stalk to fast and check the black/white wire to ground, again for 12V. Either of those being off is an indicator of a bad stalk, or potentially some discontinuity between the stalk and plug for the motor.
    Last edited by SethB; 04-18-2019, 02:01 PM. Reason: There are 4 contacts inside the motor, not 3
    sigpic

ClassicBimmerBits.com

Garage:______________________________________
    -1989 Alpinweiss II 325i - Other Daily Driver
    -1989 Zinnoberrot 325i - Daily Driver
    -1974 2002 - Weekender
    -1989 325ix - Totalled :(
    -1981 320i - Sold
    -1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold

Comment

I think you're right thanks for the response! I just tried jumping the relay and that turned the motor on, guess stalk replacement it is!

Comment

Nice! That's a good call jumping the relay. If you need any pointers replacing the stalk, I did a turn signal stalk a little while back and took pics, the process is mostly the same.

https://classicbimmerbits.com/e30-ho...k-replacement/

I hope it's helpful!
        Last edited by SethB; 04-18-2019, 03:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the link is for a turn signal stalk, not a wiper stalk specifically.
        sigpic

ClassicBimmerBits.com

Garage:______________________________________
        -1989 Alpinweiss II 325i - Other Daily Driver
        -1989 Zinnoberrot 325i - Daily Driver
        -1974 2002 - Weekender
        -1989 325ix - Totalled :(
        -1981 320i - Sold
        -1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold

Comment

Working...
        X