What direction to take with new purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What direction to take with new purchase

I recently acquired a 1987 325e "barn find". Barn find might be a bit generous but it did sit in a barn, covered, over plastic, for 12 years. To be blunt, I'm trying to flip it as I already have 6 cars. I'm looking for advice as to whether the best route is to dump more money into it to make it an attractive car for a buyer going the stock restoration route, or to sell it more or less as-is to someone that would do a performance build... just fix a window regulator, give it a thorough cleaning and detailing, fix up the brakes and generally make it safe to drive.

I'm just not sure what a buyer would be looking for in a 325e. If it were to be a performance build, I would leave it mostly alone. No point in redoing the suspension if someone is just going to swap a Ground Control suspension in and put Delrin bushings everywhere. No point in going through the motor if it's most likely going to get an S52.

The good: It runs, has a manual trans, factory limited slip, NO BODY RUST! It's truly amazing. There is a dent/crease that looks PDR-able, and a small but deep scrape on the wheel arch that is not easily fixable, otherwise the body has no paint peeling, no rust even around the license plate lights and windshield cowl. The seats and interior are in very good shape with no tears, and the dash is not cracked!

The Bad: It's been sitting for 12 years and needs everything else mechanically.

Because the panels and paint are all original, it would make a nice stock restoration, but it could also be the base of a beautiful performance build. I just don't know what direction to take with it to maximize profit.
    1990 M3
    1991 325iX
    1991 M5
    1999 M3C
    2003 M5
    2012 X5 35d

I'd clean it up and leave it stock.

Comment

Leave it stock, make it safe to drive.

Depending on what you want to make selling/flipping it, you can make an eta car fast if you build a 2.7i for it. Wouldn’t cost you much if you have access to a rusted out i car. There’s a lot of joy in the 5-7k rpm range but some people don’t crave that like others.

Manual eta cars are very nice to drive around.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
        Leave it stock, make it safe to drive.

Depending on what you want to make selling/flipping it, you can make an eta car fast if you build a 2.7i for it. Wouldn’t cost you much if you have access to a rusted out i car. There’s a lot of joy in the 5-7k rpm range but some people don’t crave that like others.

Manual eta cars are very nice to drive around.
        Cool thanks guys. I'm not well read in the e30 world. I know if this were an e30 M3 it would be stock/original all the way (to maximize profit). The days of modding M3s are over! I think I'm going the way of interior/exterior refurbishment, and brake and cooling system overhaul, that way it's a clean, safe car to drive. I'm familiar with the eta engine with iS head conversion, which is why I'm hesitant to do the timing belt, water pump, coolant hoses, etc, when someone might just tear down the motor anyway. I'm trying to build a solid, clean platform for someone to build what they want.
        1990 M3
        1991 325iX
        1991 M5
        1999 M3C
        2003 M5
        2012 X5 35d

Comment

Make the car clean as possible and fix any leaks, it will sell in original condition any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaWildBeast View Post
            Make the car clean as possible and fix any leaks, it will sell in original condition any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I agree. That’s the route I’ll take.
            1990 M3
            1991 325iX
            1991 M5
            1999 M3C
            2003 M5
            2012 X5 35d

Comment

Would you be looking to sell the car as is? im in stamford and could check it out when i come back from school in about a week
              84 325e, Saphirblau Metallic/Houndstooth Sport, OBD-2 M52B28/ zf320

Comment

Keep it stock

Comment

Working...
                X