Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brake setup are you currently running?? Favorite setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually superblue is dot 4. I don't think many people here are running dot 5 if anyone here is at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cone
      Actually superblue is dot 4. I don't think many people here are running dot 5 if anyone here is at all.
      Really? I was always under the impression that it was Dot 5. Hmmm.
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
        You guys who are running Dot 5/ Superblue- did you find that the Dot 4 was not up to track use or are you just playing it safe?
        I dunno, the extra cost is marginal compared to the increased boiling point (which means it can last longer, incidentally). Plus the blue fluid looks cool ;)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Front: ATE Powerslot rotors/tarox pads
          Rear:Oem rotors/Tarox pads
          SS brake lines
          ATE racing fluid

Front rotors cost about $129 a set and pads are $35
          Rears cost like $50 and pads are $23

Comment

you can get ATE powerslots for less than $100 a set from BMA. of course OEM are even cheaper..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by B2ThaZiZza
              Front: ATE Powerslot rotors/tarox pads
              Rear:Oem rotors/Tarox pads
              SS brake lines
              ATE racing fluid

Front rotors cost about $129 a set and pads are $35
              Rears cost like $50 and pads are $23
              How do you like the Tarox pads? You are the only person I have seen using them.
              Bite, fade, dust, etc.

[THE 501 club - Founding Member]

Comment

front + rear: Brembo Slotted Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, stock lines.
                no problems so far.

P.S.---- red paint for 10 extra horsepower! 8) plus it's like like like christmas time every time I look at the wheels!! :roll:

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

I like the look of the Brembos. Can you say they stop better than the stockers did?
                  How much did you pay and where did you order them from?

I am scheduled to have my calipers off this weekend, and I'm going to powdercoat mine red too. :up:

Comment

I just cleaned/scrubbed then masked and sprayed mine. powder coating wudda been nice though. I do like them better than the stock stuff the PO had on there, but I don't know how much actual performance difference I feel just having slotted rotors because I did it all at once (pads and rotors). Supposedly they scrape surface gases away better and shit but I dunno. They look good IMO, just wish they sounded like Cross-Drilled when I stop, hehe. The pads have good bite. Can't really say I've ever faded them yet.

What I would like to know is how often and WHY some of you guys flush your brake fluid? I have been told to let the stuff sit rather than agitate the OLD system and get stuff floating around in there if you can help it. It makes sense to me though to change it out just like coolant or oil because I know moisture/debris/small-children/pet-dander can get into the system sometimes. Please, anyone, input here would be nice.

Comment

Flushing brake fluid frequently is a good idea. Once every 2 years is reccomended by BMW. The crap absorbs moisture like a mother, and keeping it fresh helps it work better. It's pretty easy too.

Comment

is there even a drain plug of sorts to make that easier? or just bleed everything like a mofo?

Comment

You gotta bleed it at every caliper.

Comment

i see. that should be fun since i have painted calipers.... gotta watch for drips of fluid seaping out of the base of the bleeders when i do that.

Comment

Re: What brake setup are you currently running?? Favorite se

Originally posted by rcwells
                              I have already ordered mine so I am not looking for opinions on what I should buy. I'm just wondering what setup you are using, and whether you would repeat it when time to replace? Or, in your experience, what setup has been your favorite?

My setup:

Front- ATE power disc / Axxis Ultimates
                              Rear- Brembo / Axxis Ulitmates
                              Stainless steel brake lines
                              Motul 600 fluid

The rotors/pads/fluid will all be new for me. I will give my feedback on my setup later.
                              So?

Where did you get them from? BMA? How much for rotors & pads?

Comment

That's funny, somebody actually called me on it. The truth is I haven't replied with my impressions because I haven't been altogether pleased with it. I bought the rotors, pads, and caliper rebuild kits from BMA. Don't remember the exact cost now, but you can punch it all up and enter the discount code for r3v members and get an idea. I bought the Motul elsewhere and that stuff is expensive, and I prolly won't do any more of it. Next time just some of the blue stuff will do just fine.

Once everything was installed, we started the fluid replacement. We attached the Bleeder pump which belongs to my good friend Eric, and began the bleeding off of the old stuff. We went through the entire process, and didn't notice that some was leaking out of the top of the fluid reservoir. I think there must have been some air introduced back into the system as a result. Two .5L bottles cost about $38 shipped, and I ONLY had the 2 bottles. I didn't realize there was much of an issue until we started the car and I drove it. No pedal feel initially. So I ordered some even more fluid to rebleed with and just haven't done it yet.

Right now, it is working okay, though I sometimes under harder braking have to pump once to get a good feel.

All of that to say that it is difficult to judge the benefit of the pads and calipers with the system being compromised like it is. I need to rebleed the whole thing and get ALL of the air out. Then I can better determine if this setup is much better than the stock equipment.

That fluid is just so expensive, I kinda hated to waste that first batch when it is braking fine now, just a bit soft on the pedal. I will do this at some point, and if there is a big difference, I will post again at that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X