No announcement yet.

Mini BBK is done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v true...i don't think we get Corrados over here...at least had never heard of one till this thread!

might be something else that fits though
    JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Gus
      v true...i don't think we get Corrados over here...at least had never heard of one till this thread!

might be something else that fits though
      The corrado rotor is the same as some Seat rotors and is used on a few other VWs. Not sure if we got any those in NZ though. EBC code is D480 or GD480 for groved ones if you want to give a parts shopa call though gus.

Other options (was talking to glen about this- was finding excuses not to study)

2.8 Golf (Mk3/4 i think) rotors will fit and the same size. (280 x 22) but they roughly 5mm sit further foward than the corrado rotors. So its going to be a tighter fit between the caliper and the wheel spokes. They still need the center-bore enlarged as well. Need re-drilling as well i think.

I have almost finished a test (cheap and nasty) bracket to relocate the stock caliper to use these Golf rotors, mainly just to check for spoke clearance.

Or go for audi tt discs. (315 x 25), same offset as stock e30 but need to be re-drilled to 4 x 100 and again bigger centerbore. Depending on the wheel/caliper they may or may not fit over 16" rims.

Golf 280mm ones are around $100 from BNT and TT around $150 (both brembo). Could definately get cheaper than than, as that was without BMWCC discount.

Note- instead of having to machine out the center-bore each tie you could machine the same amount off the hubs. (wont affect the centerbore for wheels)

Comment

Awsome brake setup!!! Kick ass work!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac
          Beats me :p

4-lug VW corrado rotor is what you're looking for.
          Here you go guys http://www.autodoctorparts.com/frame...GD480&go=quote

Comment

that link doesnt work. youre looking for 89-91 range corrado. in 92, it went 5-lug

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac
              Yes, this is true. I opened up the centerbore of the rotors. Very easy mod if you have the right tools.
              how much did you have to bore out? meaning, what is the vw bore at?

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle
                how much did you have to bore out? meaning, what is the vw bore at?
                Being the dumbass that I am I didnt really write anything down. IIRC it was .045"

Took about 45 seconds per rotor on the engine lathe at work.

Comment

E30 is 66mm and vw is 65, so you need to machine about 0.5mm off. Key thing is to make sure its dead accurate. you'd want to use a 4 jaw chuck (ya'll know what i mean) with individual jaws and a dial gauge to check its straight, both ways. we all know about the e30's love for shakey front ends.
                  Last edited by Borat; 08-17-2006, 11:04 PM.

Comment

the one in my avatar is the size of a fuckin mini.... but i guess that doesnt really say much for its accuracy, heh.

Comment

for $350 it's a awesome job/alternative! Altough I like more bling bling calippers so i went with Forged Superlite 4 pistons calieprsthat are bigger, but I'm under the procces of installing 'em!:)
                      Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Your bracket is only 1/4" thick? That seems way to small to me. Have you done any calculations to verify if it'll hold up to the loading?

I hope you've done your homework on that, because the last thing we wanna see is those fail.

Comment

^^ It's stainless steel, which has a very high shear strength. It will actually bend/warp before failing completely, and it doesn't reach it's max failure strength until it's so warped he would notice.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_george View Post
                            Your bracket is only 1/4" thick? That seems way to small to me. Have you done any calculations to verify if it'll hold up to the loading?

I hope you've done your homework on that, because the last thing we wanna see is those fail.
                            The setup has survived several track days and daily abuse for the last 5 months. I have torn down the whole system 3 times to check wear and tear. Everything looks perfect!

Comment

Any thoughts on making a run on the brackets for guys that are interested in getting this installed ?
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

caliper related question here. why the 120-6805?
                                on their site, there are lots of small differences to choose from.

please help me understand why this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X