Latest battery changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest battery changes

Over the years, I have always used Group 48 batteries. Then it seems they were phased out in favor of the H6. Some sites like Autozone show that our E30's use the 91/T6 battery instead. They all work but the dimensions are slightly different. Anyway, I noticed that the Duralast gold T6 is rated at 60aH (Made in Germany) and my Costco Interstate H6 is rated at 70aH. I understand the definition of Amp/Hours vs CCA/CA but I'm confused why the movement over to rating starting batteries by aH rather than the more familiar CCA/CA nomenclature. My question is does that make these deep cycle batteries? If not, why the change from CCA/CA to aH? I noticed the T6 is made in Germany, which implies it's not made by Johnson Controls but perhaps a German company like Deka/Varta/Bosch.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    Over the years, I have always used Group 48 batteries. Then it seems they were phased out in favor of the H6. Some sites like Autozone show that our E30's use the 91/T6 battery instead. They all work but the dimensions are slightly different. Anyway, I noticed that the Duralast gold T6 is rated at 60aH (Made in Germany) and my Costco Interstate H6 is rated at 70aH. I understand the definition of Amp/Hours vs CCA/CA but I'm confused why the movement over to rating starting batteries by aH rather than the more familiar CCA/CA nomenclature. My question is does that make these deep cycle batteries? If not, why the change from CCA/CA to aH? I noticed the T6 is made in Germany, which implies it's not made by Johnson Controls but perhaps a German company like Deka/Varta/Bosch.
    H6 = Group 48, its like metric and imperial

H6 is the DIN size (Deutsche Internationale Norm) while group 48 is the BCI (Battery Council International) Group size.

Some makers even sell batteries labeled in both DIN and BCI:

T6 is incorrect for our cars as it cross references to a 40R.

All batteries have an aH and CCA rating, they measure two different things, but the former is more important in deep-cycle batteries. The fact that it is rated doesnt make it a deep cycle battery.

FYI, JC owns Varta.

H6 and H8 fit our cars, with the H8 being equivalent to a group 49. The battery tray has two slots one for the H6 one for the H8, both fit factory perfect.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by noid; 01-12-2017, 12:14 PM.
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

That's pretty much what I have found. The 91/T6 threw me off though as that's what Autozone specs for our cars. I guess that's just what they recommend as a compatible size since they don't seem to carry grp 48/H6. I'm aware CCA/CA and aH measure two different things but my concern is why they only show the aH rating and not the common CCA/CA rating if they are not deep cycle.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
        H6 = Group 48, its like metric and imperial

H6 is the DIN size (Deutsche Internationale Norm) while group 48 is the BCI (Battery Council International) Group size.
        Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I was struggling to wade through 20 years of forum posts about which battery is correct for my trunk-mount 325i and was getting mixed up with the different nomenclature. Excellent info - much appreciated.

My car had a Group 91 in it that didn't fit well, always seemed to crank slowly, and was never properly vented. After removal of all the surface rust (thanks to the lack of venting) and a repaint with some rust inhibiting paint, I replaced it with a Group 48/H6 AGM battery from Advance Auto Parts. Found a 30% off coupon which made it $139.xx out the door after tax & core.
        - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
        1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

Working...
        X