Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
    Lol, NASA. Not a global warming organization. I don't think you know what intelligent discourse or logic is.

And I think you are about to crack buddy if my signature pisses you off that much.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    NASA is a scientific and data collection agency.

If you think my saying I think having that signature is stupid is extreme anger I submit you are proving your inability to collate data.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Marshall, NASA currently runs and organizes one of the biggest earth observation projects ever, started 21 years ago in 1997, called the 'Earth Observing System' and have been putting up earth observation satellites since the 60s like pointed out above. They share this information with climate organizations around the globe, mapping changes in the earths surface and climate over the years.

The fact that you think this is out of their 'jurisdiction' is hilarious and naive. You are wearing your tinfoil hat way to proudly.

Your continued use of 'global warming' as coined by conservative media to discredit climate change is also telling.

Stop projecting your 'group think' on us.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

National Aeronautics and Space Association.

Don't be an idiot.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Don't be an idiot.

You realize almost no government entity, or even business, only does what their name implies.

Continue with the name calling though, its productive.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa, NASA absolutely used to do exactly what their name implied. My grandfather was an employee during the Apollo missions.

They have been politicized. Period. They are far outside their original mission.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa, NASA absolutely used to do exactly what their name implied. My grandfather was an employee during the Apollo missions.

They have been politicized. Period. They are far outside their original mission.

How about you back up all your claims.

How is NASA unqualified? Where do you get they are just a political entity?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

so what about your grandfather? my grandfather fought in ww2 and the korean conflict, that doesn't mean he had any guidance for me on counter-insurgency.

it bothers you that they've deployed satellites that observe conditions on earth?

how have you decided that that's outside of their mission scope?
                past:
                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:
                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                  so what about your grandfather? my grandfather fought in ww2 and the korean conflict, that doesn't mean he had any guidance for me on counter-insurgency.

it bothers you that they've deployed satellites that observe conditions on earth?

The voices told him.

Comment

Don't be an idiot.

So based on the name what did Wang do? How about NCR? Xerox?

I suppose all Xerox does is make copiers? They invented the VCR, GUI & mouse fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post

Deploying satellites does not a climatologist make.

All I was saying about NASA is that it's primary objective wasn't to merely launch satellites for weather observation. It was actually space exploration and solving seriously complex physics problems.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                        So based on the name what did Wang do? How about NCR? Xerox?

I suppose all Xerox does is make copiers? They invented the VCR, GUI & mouse fwiw.
                        I do agree that amazing inventions came out of NASA while doing their research for their primary focus and that they became wonderfully practical for the consumer. But weighing in on global warming is not in their wheelhouse. It's a fucking sideshow and a huge distraction from their main purpose.

And let's not confuse them with money making, profit generating companies.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Don't be an idiot.

You said that^

Suggesting all they do is what NASA meant, with I might add anger .

I do agree that amazing inventions came out of NASA while doing their research for their primary focus and that they became wonderfully practical for the consumer. But weighing in on global warming is not in their wheelhouse. It's a fucking sideshow and a huge distraction from their main purpose.

And let's not confuse them with money making, profit generating companies.

First just because their main purpose is space exploration, while they are there they do serious science (which you seem to admit in your previous post)

So which is it? You acknowledge as they have numerous different kinds of staffers that can and do many different things or they only explore space.

As far as corporations you suggested all an entity can do is what their name means so you opened that door.

Bottom line all you have done is make statements, not posted a single link or fact to back any of your assertions up.
                          Last edited by parkerbink; 02-24-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Did he know and tell you everything they've ever done? GISS has been around for a long time... https://www.giss.nasa.gov/about/
                            The NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) is a laboratory in the Earth Sciences Division (ESD) of National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). The ESD is part of GSFC's Sciences and Exploration Directorate.

Following approval by NASA Administrator T. Keith Glennan in December 1960, the institute was established by Dr. Robert Jastrow in May 1961

At NASA’s inception, the new agency quickly discovered that one of the most fascinating places to explore from space was our home planet. In 1959, the White House gave NASA technical and management direction of the Television Infrared Observation Satellite (TIROS) project, America’s first weather satellite.
                            Early on (in its second year), NASA had already started to use the tools it helped put into space to look back upon ourselves.

NASA has no business discussing global warming in the first place. Obama politicized everything binky.
                            I'd strongly encourage you to educate yourself with some basic research before parroting what someone else tells you to think. With CFCs, they helped to turn back the damage caused by man and took a big role. Maybe the difference is there was not a strong CFC lobby or people politically vested in it?
                            In 1985, TOMS instruments on board Nimbus 7 characterized the ozone depletion over Antarctica that was initially observed from the ground. Ground and airborne observations conducted by NASA played a critical role in helping scientists understand why the Antarctic ozone depletion (first discovered by personnel from the British Antarctic Survey using ground-based measurements) was occurring – through a connection between meteorology, aerosol/cloud chemistry, and industrially produced chlorine. These findings dramatized the significance of environmental change and underscored the relevance of NASA satellite technology to understanding the risk. They led to the 1988 Montreal Protocol, an international agreement requiring the signatory nations to employ nondestructive alternatives to CFCs.

Tilford said the input of science to this agreement marked an important turning point. “For all practical purposes,” he noted, “to decide that man-made activities were having an impact, and to do something about it on an international basis was really … the first time that science ever made an impact, one way or another, with respect to international regulation of anything.”

Concurrently, two significant ideas percolated in the scientific community that influenced NASA’s interest in and approach toward Earth science. The first idea was that Earth, like all other planetary bodies probed by NASA robotic spacecraft, should be treated as an object to be investigated on a planetary scale. NASA’s fifth administrator, Robert Frosch, recalled during his term (1977-1981) discussions about how “we can learn things about the Earth by looking at the other planets, and about the other planets by looking at the Earth, which is yet another area of connecting disciplines and interests.”
                            And you have to look back pretty far to where NASA started concerning itself with climate change, and it was long before the popular scapegoat you blame. And was done under a Republican president!
                            NASA planners also pushed the idea that studying Earth processes using several disciplinary approaches might hold the key to understanding the climate change phenomenon. The 1986 NASA Advisory Committee Report, “Earth System Science: A Program for Global Change,” emphasized the need to study Earth as a complex system, and helped establish the framework for the multi-billion dollar interagency U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP), of which NASA would be the major contributor. The report stated the anticipated achievements of Earth system science would include:

• Global measurements: Establishment of the worldwide observations necessary to understand the physical, chemical, and biological processes responsible for Earth evolution on all timescales.
                            • Documentation of global change: Recording of those changes that will occur in the Earth system over the coming decades.
                            • Predictions: Use of quantitative models of the Earth system to anticipate future global trends.
                            • Information base: Assembly of the information essential for effective decision-making to respond to the consequences of global change.
                            Read it for yourself: https://www.nap.edu/catalog/19210/ea...-global-change If you look at Pages 10-12, NASA was talking about carbon dioxide / greenhouse gases and effects on global surface temperatures. (Obama was a community organizer at this time in Chicago, so not sure how he politicized NASA from there!)

Look who was in charge and pushing Earth Science previously:
                            President George H.W. Bush proposed the initiation of NASA’s Mission to Planet Earth (MTPE), centered on two large polar-orbiting platforms and a complex data and information system. Bush said at the time, “Let us remember as we chase our dreams into the stars that our first responsibility is to our Earth, to our children, to ourselves. Yes, let us dream, and let us pursue those dreams, but let us also preserve the fragile world we inhabit.”

MTPE, whose largest element was the Earth Observing System (EOS), was to be the key component of the broader interagency U.S. Global Change Research Program. The Congress endorsed this plan with the Global Change Research Act of 1990.
                            Just because the current administration is attacking NASA's Earth Science (or science in general) does not mean his own party didn't help grow it and at one point valued it. NASA has been involved in this climate observation and research from the beginning and is an important part of it now - if they are not qualified, then who is? Some blogger who was a former weatherman? Oh well, you haven't let facts get in the way of your opinion so why start now?

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                              You said that^

Suggesting all they do is what NASA meant, with I might add anger .

First just because their main purpose is space exploration, while they are there they do serious science (which you seem to admit in your previous post)

So which is it? You acknowledge as they have numerous different kinds of staffers that can and do many different things or they only explore space.

As far as corporations you suggested all an entity can do is what their name means so you opened that door.

Bottom line all you have done is make statements, not posted a single link or fact to back any of your assertions up.

"It is instructive to recall the objectives for NASA that emerged in section 102 of the final Space Act:
                              1. The expansion of human knowledge of phenomena in the atmosphere and space;
                              2. The improvement of the usefulness, performance, speed, safety, and efficiency of aeronautical and space vehicles;
                              3. The development and operation of vehicles capable of carrying instruments, equipment, supplies, and living organisms through space;
                              4. The establishment of long-range studies of the potential benefits to be gained from, the opportunities for, and the problems involved in the utilization of aeronautical and space activities for peaceful and scientific purposes;
                              5. The preservation of the role of the United States as a leader in aeronautical and space science and technology and in the application thereof to the conduct of peaceful activities within and outside the atmosphere;
                              6. The making available to agencies directly concerned with national defense of discoveries that have military value or significance, and the furnishing by such agencies, to the civilian agency established to direct and control nonmilitary aeronautical and space activities, of information as to discoveries which have value or significance to that agency;
                              7. Cooperation by the United States with other nations and groups of nations in work done pursuant to this Act and in the peaceful application of the results thereof;
                              8. The most effective utilization of the scientific and engineering resources of the United States, with close cooperation among all interested agencies of the United States in order to avoid unnecessary duplication of effort, facilities and equipment"

You would have to bastardize the above objectives to make "researching and formulating opinions on climate change" something legitimate that NASA should be doing. I am not denying that the agency has been politicized and as such, other departments were created within NASA. But they are a serious distraction from their original purpose.

Look, I don't think iPhone makers should only be growing apples in Washington. Your tactic of hyperbole lead to your claims. NASA's name, a government agency, along with the objectives stated for it above, was never intended to do the work it is doing on climate shit.

"No one is saying there is consensus!"

It’s important to remember that scientists always focus on the evidence, not on opinions. Scientific evidence continues to show that human activities (primarily the human burning of fossil fuels) have warmed Earth’s surface and its ocean basins, which in turn have continued to impact Earth’s climate. This is based on over a century of scientific […]

And as I have always said, talk to a geologist about global warming:

The point is that EVERYTHING is a political opportunity. Most people fail to recognize it for what it is.

And to the fella posting just above: From your own link, the goal of GISS was this: Research areas included the structure of Earth, Moon, and other planetary bodies; the atmospheres of Earth and the other planets; the origin and evolution of the solar system; the properties of interplanetary plasma; Sun-Earth relations; and the structure and evolution of stars.

And here is an old ass opinion article that blows up what GISS has been turned into. https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe.../#2df08c536963

You guys are so stuck up each other's asses it is just gross.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Wow nasa uses rocket gizmos to launch little things way up in the clouds to look at earth omg!!!!!

So let me get this straight, they are allowed to study other planets, but not ours? Odd

Comment

Working...
                                X