Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 mtech 1 wing restoration, rubber&fiberglass Posting more pics tomorrow though!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 mtech 1 wing restoration, rubber&fiberglass Posting more pics tomorrow though!

I have a really good write up I made on restoring the e30 version mtech one wing
    That covers taking it apart , fixing mounting points for the fiberglass insert. As well as getting rid of textured and wheathered rubber. If anyone wants me to post it I will I just want some feedback
    The wing is made up of two pieces. It's held together with 3 screws, and they thread in to brass fittings that are part of the wing, I managed to save one to show you what it looks like.

I made my own version of those on a lathe after I drilled the old ones out.
    I then jb welded them in to place, even if there wasn't a structure because you have to use a large drill bit. You can still manage to make it work. Here were my results
    If you are capable of making one you should fill the threads with clay so they don't get clogged up with jb weld.

I bought some stainless screws and washers to keep it together, metric pitch

Remove all the paint with a da

Most wings have slight cracks and you have to make little valleys to get rid off all the cracks, sounds scary but you have to do it to keep it from cracking again
    You should fill it with fiber glass resin if you want To try but it's very hard too
    Keep the natural concave look the wing has, so I decide to use u-pol dolphin glaze body filler

Here's a pic of the cracks filled with te first coat

Lots of cracks
    After you fill the cracks lay your primer over it let it sit for 5 hours
    Then add a skim coat over the primer

After you get the 2nd skim coat down flat as you can you may have to fill the low spots a third time like I did in this photo

After you get you skim coat flat you need to prime over it to make it one color

It's going to look splotchy because of the filler untill you sand lightly it with 400
    After a ton of work you should get somewhere like this

All the edged you have to fog in primer if you bleed through

Thin base coat wait 15 minutes then add a coat

My own version of diamond Schwarze
    I'm doing my bumpers In this color since I have a black e30 and all Schwarze cars came with diamond Schwarze bumpers

For the spoiler rubber I used a very high build primer and added some flex up post some more Info tomorrow when I have some new pics but il still in the process of it all and it's somewhat experimental and you guys will find out how it goes for a very weathered e30 wing

First coat of primer let it sit for 5 hours so
    It shrinks up then you can sand.
    More pics tomorrow

Last edited by e30m20TurbO7; 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM.

interested to hear about fixing the rubber. I don't have an m-tech spoiler, but I have two other ones made of a similar foam thing, and would like to know how to take care of them.
    cars beep boop

Comment

I'm on the look out for an mtech wing to finish up my project. Might have to pick one up that needs work, so I'd be a reader

Comment

mtech wing

nice topic, i also want to repair my mtech-1 wing especially for the rubber part. its been oxidized and need a paint removal due to the prev user spray it with a dull black to cover the rubber surfaces
        Attached Files

Comment

I used plastidip to restore the rubber piece.

Comment

So my experiment worked out great
            The first type of primer I used ended up cracking over night so I sanded it down with a da
            And some 320
            It's not that it cracked it was on too thick and when you sqeeze the rubber it would crack
            So I sanded it down an went to the pair store an bought some Urethane primer
            Then after I primed it, i put 2 coats then for all the small pinholes I used the dolphin glaze spot putty. And sanded it over
            I can do this to people's wings for a fee it honestly is restored to brand new, you can't buy this work anywhere else
            Here's how it looked when I sanded it out, the epoxy primer I used filled all the weather cracks after I sanded it
            Use an epoxy lay it on thick then sand it with the da and 320
            Then shoot it with a ureathane primer and fill any pin holes with the spot putty glaze

Feels like bran new
            Last edited by e30m20TurbO7; 06-07-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

great tips!

ill try to do the same thing today.. hopefully get the good result

Comment

subscribed.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

has anyone tried paint stripper on these "rubber" parts
                  I have one that had been repainted many times, in white ( not by me)
                  full of cracks etc now, want to get the white off and back to black esp since ill be mounting it on a black car

a bit timid about taking my da to it and not looking forward to hours of hand sanding

someone told me brake fluid will work,,,,don't know if that was a joke

Comment

Don't be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, bust out a DA if you can handle it.
                    Originally posted by isamemon View Post
                    has anyone tried paint stripper on these "rubber" parts
                    I have one that had been repainted many times, in white ( not by me)
                    full of cracks etc now, want to get the white off and back to black esp since ill be mounting it on a black car

a bit timid about taking my da to it and not looking forward to hours of hand sanding

someone told me brake fluid will work,,,,don't know if that was a joke

Comment

subscribed. great guide. thanks for posting this.

Comment

Some teAsers

Comment

i have some sort of bondo on my covering the holes where the screws would be mounted
                          and good tips on getting that type of crap off have you delt with that before?
                          sigpic

Comment

Guy in the background looks like hes hating life.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Bump!!! Did you ever paint it black? Hows it look today? Update?
                              (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
                              1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

Working...
                              X