Small paint project (E34 content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small paint project (E34 content)

well i figured there are allot of missconceptions out there about the best way to detail your car...
    NOW
    this is MY opinion and way of detailing a car... i have things that some people dont do... and some things i will miss that others do... so just enjoy
    lets start with this
    E34 525... ryans car... nice... but rough around the edges...
    it had MAJOR issues with paint... some hack used cheapo clear coat... and didnt even prep the surface by sanding... so it was cracking and peeling off... so i will start of the detail like this
    PAINT IT... there are some things detailing can hide... but for the love of god... if it looks like crap just paint it... you will be happy with the end result and you will have enough clear to polish for many years to come... so we painted
    LEFT SIDE COMPLETE (fender, 2 doors, 1/4).. then there was a rust issue right below the trunk lid... so we patched it and painted that... the we also painted the right 1/4
    heres what it looks like now

and now this is the issue.. while it is all nice and shiney the rest of the car... is ... well... lacking... as you can see when butted up against another panel

so that will need polishing.. just like the rest of the car... so that will be posted in the next post
    now...
    I LOVE TRIM BLACK... and this is waht it can do
    rough eh?

mouldings... seen better days

with a little 400 grit and some trim black and about 30 min you can do a fairly decent job... NOT PERFECT.. but alot better... cmon its a lower spoiler its going to be hacked again

now those look much better in person

well gentel men.. after about 3 hours of back breaking work i have completed most of my cut polish (minus the rood.. *groan*) heres what she looks like.
    DONT GET THIS WRONG... there are PLENTY of swirl marks... that will be taken out by step 2... i just havent got there... but even if i dont get rid of the swirls this paint looks a HELL of alot better... so lets go over this...
    MASK OFF PLEASE!!!!
    then use a wool pad (IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCED) if not use a foam pad, (less risk of burn through, but not as agressive) I use figure 8's to acheive less swirls and a more even cut in the clear, stay away from edges as much as possible, really all you need to avoid is holding on 1 edge... its harder to burn through paint then its let on. then just giver... SO many people are so worried about risk's etc... if you dont try you dont learn... go for it and then deal with it

pretty shitty paint eh?

clean clay bar

not so clean

i prob went through about 1/2 lb on ryans beast

nice

what we use

what it does

now THAT matches nice

Last edited by Sha1234; 09-24-2008, 07:33 AM.

Comment

DA or rotary? pad selection?...looks great so far...

Comment

bought this about 6 months ago

i assume you were talking about the polisher... its just a rotary polisher no DA... ive got a DA polisher at home but that would be a little unfair, seeing as how MOST people use a standard orbital polisher...
        as for pads
        i use meguiars pads, and i stay clear of wool pads... (i feel they arent as accurate)
        for cut polisher i use
        W-7000 SOFTBUFF Cutting Pad 8in
        for swirl remover i will use
        W-8000 Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pads 8in
        and same pad for the sealer (clean on... obviously)
        then i hand wax the last step

Comment

Working...
        X