No announcement yet.

Lightweight Track Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work! Craftsmanship on your composite parts looks great from the pictures.

8)

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Looks like nice work. I read through your blog and was impressed. I didn't see a write up for the hood and trunk that you made. Did you use the same method for those as you did for the roof? Do you have any pictures of the underside of them? Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
      Matt

sigpic

Comment

looks like the fender was short. Are you planning on molding it to the fasctor fender?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
          looks like the fender was short. Are you planning on molding it to the fasctor fender?
          I'm going to keep a small amount of the factory fender to use as attachment points for the kevlar. The bumper will have a matching piece to continue the lines for the fender, I should be able to make some progress on it tomorrow.
          sigpic

Comment

Very cool! You look like someone who's been doing this kind of thing for awhile... For curiosity's sake, do you have any other blogs or writeups on past projects?

Comment

Sweet. Just make sure to make me a set
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

what are you goin to do for a motor
                sigpic
                24v swapped

Comment

Looks cool. How much for a roof and doors? Are you going to race this in a specific series or just use it for DE stuff

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
                    Looks cool. How much for a roof and doors? Are you going to race this in a specific series or just use it for DE stuff

The e30 will be mostly a DE/Trackday car...this is my race car- :)

I'm building the e30 so that it's a fun street-legal car that I can drive to the track instead of trailer. The formula car is fun too, but it's a pain to trailer everywhere, and I need a crew of 3 to run a full track day.

Wheel to wheel racing is fun, but sometimes I prefer just driving and having fun. If you need some competition, just use a transponder and look at posted lap times. Time trials are like a big qualifying session, they can be pretty fun. The e30 will be elligible for a few "Super modified" classes when I'm done with it, but I'm not sure how competitve it will be. Hill climbs are another option, and those are usually based solely on engine displacement so the car might be able to do well in it's class.

Initally I was going to build it for spec e30, but that seemed pretty boring...I like working on the car as much as driving it, so I decided to build it to the extent of my capabilities.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey there everyone- I made some progress over the weekend, the fender/body work is coming along nicely.

www.projecte30.com

Everything is rough-fitted and still needs trimming and proper fitting. After completion of the bodywork, I'll be looking at suspension options. If anyone has a suggestion for a "hardcore" race setup, please let me know. If I can't find a manufacture I like, I may end up fab'ing up my own setup.

Thanks!
                      sigpic

Comment

Very cool build and very cool thread. The fender work looks awesome.

Comment

Hi all-
                          I made a little more progress over the weekend, I began farication of the splitter and I'm really close to finishing the flares. I need to work on the undertray and diffuser then I should be ready to think about paint (as soon as we have some nicer weather).

www.projecte30.com
                          sigpic

Comment

god damn
                            Originally posted by NavyE30
                            I saw Vlad was posting and got excited. Then I saw there weren't any boobs and was sad.

Comment

so the moral of this story is:
                              You need rediculous fab skills and time to make SportMaxx rims properly fit an e30.

I kid i kid,
                              Great project
                              Julien
                              Build Threads:
                              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                                so the moral of this story is:
                                You need rediculous fab skills and time to make SportMaxx rims properly fit an e30.

I kid i kid,
                                Great project
                                Julien
                                Ha! I appologize for the SportMaxx wheels...they'll have to do until I get my Kodiaks. I thought I read on a forum somewhere that guys were fitting the 0 offset wheels with some fender rolling...not with 245 tires I guess! :D For now I'm pretty sure 245s will be sufficient, although 275s are an option. I think I have the room if I get the offset correct, might be a challenge up front though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X