No announcement yet.

Maybe in the Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got bored and therefore my trunk paid the price.

Before

After (The battery protector tray went back where it belongs)

Spare tire, 34lbs

The Widowmaker Jack 4lbs

Pad for under the spare tire 17lbs

All the junk

Comment

Has anyone taken off the layer of sound deadening material that is adhered to the metal of the trunk?

I heard that stuff is quite heavy but I don't know how to take it up.

Comment

Dry Ice iirc

Comment

Originally posted by Zyth01 View Post
          Has anyone taken off the layer of sound deadening material that is adhered to the metal of the trunk?

I heard that stuff is quite heavy but I don't know how to take it up.
          Hundred degree weather and a platic putty knife to get it started. You can slowly start peeling it up in entire sections. Total weight is 45lbs iirc.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Mineral spirits to clean up residual
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
              Hundred degree weather and a platic putty knife to get it started. You can slowly start peeling it up in entire sections. Total weight is 45lbs iirc.
              So I need to move? ;)

I guess I'll go at it with a heat gun next time I'm feeling rambunctious.

Comment

After work I decided to try and patch up the rusty hole that has been working its way through the exhaust resonator for the past 25 years with some muffler bandage, I figure its worth $5 to try and make it flow better, but definitely not worth buying new exhaust parts since I'll eventually need a full turbo-back system anyway. My dad caught me trying to put the patch on and told me to step aside:

Unfortunately he was only able to weld up the hole on the bottom, afterward we ran the car for a bit and it was still making noise like it had a leak, turns out an even larger hole is on top, and we can't get at it without taking the exhaust off. Since the motor is coming out this weekend I figured I could suffer a few more days of leaky exhaust.

So, since I had the car already jacked up into the air and I had no idea how long the differential had gone without fresh fluids, I decided to check it out.

Top bolt fill, bottom drain

10mm Allen socket fits in both bolts, I believe the bolts are interchangeable as well

Out with the old fluid

In with the new fluid, with this handy pump it only takes 3 hours to pump the new fluid in

The only measurement of the amount of fluid required for the 3 series differential is 3.59 pints. And they sell 75w90 here in quarts. So my backyard math declared that I need "Bout two" quarts of fluid to fill up the differential, luckily this style of differential can't be overfilled since the fill hole is exactly high enough that when its at the perfect amount it starts to spill out if you try to fill it past that. So at about 1 3/4 quarts (roughly 3.59 pints) I started to see some oil seeping back out.

Once the bolts were back in place and the differential was all filled up, I gave the casing a well deserved bath. Too bad next time I go to work on it it'll be covered in grime already, but I digress.

Comment

Great work man! Inspires me to do the same. How long did it actually take to fill it back up? A few minutes?

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                  ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Yeah it only takes a few minutes, but the pump I had didn't have much distance in the actual pumping action so my arm got tired pretty quick :)

Comment

subscribed
                      -Alex

Comment

I'm glad to see that you are going through it and doing the little tedious things before you jump right in and start the good stuff.
                        Matt

sigpic

Comment

Hopefully I can start on some good stuff this weekend, but I'm having a hell of a time getting the correct intake, exhaust, and valve cover studs/bolts part numbers and I'd like to have them before I take the old head off.

Comment

Lookin' good man. I love these kind of restore/build threads. Moarr.
                            The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

FedEx man came today with a package for me.

Kind of dirty, kind of stock, but from a much better engine.

Comparison of the runners from the eta to the i

And after I cleaned it up a bit

Thanks again to Ray McCooney for the "i" manifold. It might not be quite as good as the 666, but couldn't beat the price/upgrade ratio.

Hopefully the engine/trans removal starts tomorrow, I'll be sure to take off the eta manifold and show the throttle body and runner differences :D

Comment

Looks like everything is coming along nicely.

One question though, the Mobil 1 you put in the diff, did that have an LSD additive??

Taylor
                                Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                                Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Working...
                                X