Maybe in the Spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
    Looks like everything is coming along nicely.

One question though, the Mobil 1 you put in the diff, did that have an LSD additive??
    Indeed it does, the type I used was the 75w90 LS. If you ever own a GM vehicle with an LSD they used to offer an additive that you would put in the differential fluid, but they discontinued it so now they just tell you to use the Mobil 1 LS, since it already has it in it.

From the mobil1 website:

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid.
    For more information, see the Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 Product Data Sheet.
    I'm not sure if the Redline gear oil that a lot of the guys on this forum are in to has the LSD additive included. But Mobil 1 has always been good to me and my cars so I stuck with what I know.

Comment

they have two different kinds and one of them has an LSD additive already mixed in so its ready to go from the bottle.

Taylor
      Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
      Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Well, today was another one of those days where I was bored and decided to do some weight reduction. I've done most of the weight reduction in the back of the car so far so I thought I'd even up the front and center to balance it all out.

Starting with the hood delete mod

That radiator, albeit aluminum, looks heavy so I took it out too

Manifolds? Are you kidding me? I don't need no freaking manifolds

They wouldn't unbolt from the downpipes so I decided to just pull until the entire exhaust system came up through the engine bay

Look at all that garbage

I found some legs under the car too

That engine looks so bulky, better just take it out

ENGINE DELETE FOR THE MOTHER FUCKING WIN

Comment

Wow, you inspire me to get under the hood.

Comment

Most of this stuff is new to me, so alot of the time I have no idea what I'm doing and just take a bunch of pictures of stuff so I can see how it goes back together if I mess up. This thread was basically started so I could make a journal of what I've done to the car, but to also give a sort of guide to people who don't think they are all that mechanically inclined.

Only two things I'm unhappy with about the removal, one is the hood was wet when I initially lifted it off, it slipped and scratched the Maaco job the PO gave the car. And two was that I ended up having to cut the rubber lines to the transmission. I guess the tranny thing doesn't really matter though, the automatic was never going to be reinstalled and I doubt anyone would ever want to buy those hoses anyway.

Comment

Yea, same with me im only 15 but i Go to Benson Poly tech witch is a Tech high school. They have a great Auto program there and i going to major in Auto. so that will help me a lot with my car.

Comment

What are you doing with the engine?

I love seeing your thread, good stuff. It does inspire me too by the way. You also weird me out because I swear you are my cousin Justin. You look the same.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                ~ John Adams ~

Comment

What am I doing with it?

Like I said, I just removed it for weight reduction ;)

Comment

Went out today and began the process of removing the Engine from the Transmission. Such a pain in the ass. Several bolts were rusted in place and stripped out when I tried to loosen them. Fucking torx bolts are ridiculous, I even have torx sockets to use on them and they still just strip. Then once I had the bellhousing loose, I tried simply pulling the transmission out like you would with a ford/chevy it should slip right out. Not the case with this automatic though, had to loosen up the bellhousing and slip a 17mm wrench inside and take the flexplate off.

And to top it off, my camera died while doing the engine removal so all you guys get is a shot of the transmission on the lift and a shot of the engine on the stand once I get batteries :)

Comment

Engine finally out

Transmission taken out, is that "lip" looking plate supposed to stay with the engine, or come out with the tranny like I did it?

Started by removing the wiring harness, cap + spark plug wires first

Manifold and fuel rail taken off, all the wires unhooked and taken off as well

Harness, I'm actually pretty shocked about it, but I actually understand where each plug goes

In case you were wondering what the valvetrain on a 252k mile m20 looks like

Tons of crap taken off, and how I left it for the night, couldn't see a way to take off the water pump without removing the timing belt and tensioner, maybe I'm just tired.

Shot of the competition

Comment

nice work - keep wrenchin!
                        PNW Crew
                        90 m3
                        06 m5

Comment

What no more pics yet? You're sooo lazy, hurry up ;)

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                          ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Been busy, but finally got back to taking stuff apart. I got the head off and was happy with what I saw.

Valves were all filthy as expected, but mechanically sound.

Pistons looked about the same

Shot of all the headbolts

Oil pan on

Oil pan off

Pistons

Bunch of junk

Completely stripped engine block

Went to the local machine shop to get some quotes on getting the block worked on. They wanted $35 for the hone, $40 to smooth out the deck, $40 to hot tank the block, and about $50 to polish the crankshaft. Pretty reasonable, and they are right down the road from me so moving the block won't be too hard. Best deal I would find, or so I thought.

I was having trouble getting the crank bolt off the engine since its torqued to about 300ft lbs from the factory and my impact gun goes to maybe 200ft lbs on a good day. So I called up a guy I know that runs his own business out of his shop and asked if he would take the bolt off for me real quick. He said no problem so I shot down to his place with the block in the back of the Celica and it took probably 5 minutes to set up the compressor and about 15 seconds to take the bolt off. I told him the shop quoted me a half hour of labor to do the same and he said that was bullshit. So all in all he ended up offering to do the work for free, and on top of that he is going to show me how to use the hone tool, how to surface the deck, and let me hot tank whatever I want, only thing is he has no way to polish the crankshaft so I'll have to send that out. Best deal I could find. :pimp:

Comment

Until your last post, I was eager to see how you would tackle the crank bolt.

Well played!

Every day I wake up we drink a lot of coffee and watch the CNN
                              Every day I wake up to a bowl of clover honey and let the locusts fly in.
                              Lobsterbacks attack the town again
                              Wrap all my things in aluminum
                              Beams of darkness streak across the sky
                              Pink rays from the ancient satellite
                              Every time I look out my window same three dogs looking back at me.
                              Every time I open my windows cranes fly in to terrorize me.

Comment

Yeah, turns out an impact wrench that maxes out around 900 ft lbs in reverse does the trick.

Comment

Working...
                                X