No announcement yet.

Water Leaks = Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to revitalize this thread. I think this picture sums up the source of my leak. The car was recently repainted and I think they inadvertently sealed up the driver side rocker drains when they applied new undercoating/paint to the rocker panels.

Comment

Sorry to bump this again but I've a question. Mine is leaking only on the pass side. It first shows up in the glove box and also in the rear near the seam by the fuel tank. So where the two carpet pieces meet. Any idea what's causing the leak? I'm loath to pull the dash and find the glove box one but will do so if needed. Please help. Also I do have to r2 the windshield so that could also be part of my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Cheers!

~Frank

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CirrusblauS52 View Post
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/atta...1&d=1394419384

Time to revitalize this thread. I think this picture sums up the source of my leak. The car was recently repainted and I think they inadvertently sealed up the driver side rocker drains when they applied new undercoating/paint to the rocker panels.
        Great pic! Thanks. Will take this to the body shop when getting the rusty rockers fixed.
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

Hello I have read your thread but could not understand it. I think I should do more research on this so that I can answer this.
          -------------------------------
          Top ten Classified Website

Comment

Originally posted by tofubento View Post
            Okay heres a weird one for you guys... I have a leak in my trunk ( 4door ) right where jack and all that rests, I cant find it. The walls are dry, tailights dry, it just sits in that well on the left hand side...anyone know wtf causes that? kause its starting to get annoying.
            I have this issue, but a vert. Seems like it points to some drain holes being clogged by dirt/grime. Going to look today.

Comment

Ive got standing water in my passenger foot well. I cannot for the life of me find where its coming from. Anyone have any ideas? I checked the rocker drains but theyre open and clear. I have removed the ac lines under the dash. And where they come through the firewall is open. But the weather stripping.under the hood is fine so it shouldnt be coming from there? Theres no obvious water coming from the sunroof around the edges...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by _JDizzle_ View Post
                Ive got standing water in my passenger foot well. I cannot for the life of me find where its coming from. Anyone have any ideas? I checked the rocker drains but theyre open and clear. I have removed the ac lines under the dash. And where they come through the firewall is open. But the weather stripping.under the hood is fine so it shouldnt be coming from there? Theres no obvious water coming from the sunroof around the edges...

Only other place it could be coming from is the cowl. When it rains water goes into the cowl and drains on either side through the rocker holes. But if the gasket between the blower motor housing is deteriorated it can cause water to drain from the trans tunnel. Only way to fix this is to remove the dash and hvac box and replace the gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Rouvld View Post
                  Only other place it could be coming from is the cowl. When it rains water goes into the cowl and drains on either side through the rocker holes. But if the gasket between the blower motor housing is deteriorated it can cause water to drain from the trans tunnel. Only way to fix this is to remove the dash and hvac box and replace the gasket.
                  Thank you so much. The dash is out now so i might as well replace that

Comment

Originally posted by _JDizzle_ View Post
                    Thank you so much. The dash is out now so i might as well replace that

No prob, PN is 64111370936

Comment

Originally posted by dj2xrated View Post
                      Water leaks in the rear floorboard

[ Ron Milliet :: 01 Jan 2000 ]

I know EXACTLY what causes the "soaked floorboard carpet phenomenon" and how to fix it.
                      This question has come several times recently and many times over the year. I **think** it is common to E30s and should be put in a FAQ.
                      I spent HOURS and many gray hairs tracking down this DAMN problem. I COMPLETELY removed the interior of my car including the carpet.

Problem Description:

After a rain, the carpet in the rear floorboard gets TOTALLY soaked...usually visible, standing water. Close inspection reveals that the water is coming from UNDER the carpet and rising up to the top. This is different than the...dripping down from the sunroof leak, taillight lens gasket trunk leak, and the ever annoying under the dash from fresh air vent leak.

Problem FIX:

It was both passenger and driver floor boards. I wrestled this PITA problem for about one year, before I finally resorted to tearing the car apart.
                      I finally pin pointed the rocker drains were not draining. They had been crushed closed by something. The sunroof would drain into the rocker and eventually fill up enough to spill over into the floor pan via holes for the wiring harness.

This is very easy to test (details for an E30):

Start with car on level ground and fill the forward sunroof tube slowly with water, it should immediately start streaming out as fast as you pour it in via the "fore" drain. The rear sunroof tube does not drain into the rocker.

[ATTACH]111674[/ATTACH]

Next point the front of your car up a steep hill and again fill the front tube, the water should stream out of the "aft" drain.
                      My car had two drains per side. These were merely indentions in the sheet metal seam. All 4 of my drains were crushed closed.
                      I used a screwdriver to open them and was greeted with a rush of water held in the rocker.

BTW, My car took on water once more after this. It happened when my car was parked with the front down a VERY steep hill. The problem was the "fore" drain is located about 8 to 10 inches from the end of the rocker. This allows water to pool up and spill over before it reaches the drain.
                      This phenomenon was immediately remedied with a 1/4 drill bit!!

Some more details on the "LEAK from hell"...

Where does the rear sunroof tube drain?

This should not be the problem **hopefully** and is VERY easy to test. The rear tubes run (of all places) into the trunk and drain out by the side marker lights.

Just use a water bottle and with the car pointed up hill, pour the water into sunroof track so it runs AWAY from the front drain hole. It will look like the water just goes under your roof...I don't think you can see the rear drain hole.

You should then see a stream of water coming out near the rear side marker. If it does not drain or drains some other place... this is a problem.

Where exactly are these drains? Are these drains underneath the car?

The rocker drains are hard to see...get a good light and crawl under there...remember...mine were CRUSHED so I actually saw them a DOZEN times and did not know it... you are looking for a "perforation" in the sheet metal right were the rocker "seams" with the floor pan.

[ATTACH]111673[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH]111672[/ATTACH]

The "fore" drain is approx 6 inches behind the door/fender seam, then the "aft" drain is approx 6 inches in from the end of the rocker.
                      These drains are SMALL, and are hard to describe... they are essentially indentions in the sheet metal.
                      Pour the water with the car level first...and check where the water exits.

Ron Milliet

1. elephant trunk- Along with what this guy said, i cleaned out the "Elephant trunk" in the front of the car.
                      the elephant trunk is located between the firewall, and the ignition wires. which should be located ontop of the cylinder head.

2-trunk - also the drain in the trunk can cause trunk flooding if the peices are loose or not connecting.

i first pushed fishing wire to see how far it would go. then did the coaxil route, along with small puffs of air

i didnt use a compressor..i paid a kid in my neighborhood 10 bux to blow up the rubber tube. :twisted evil:

then i silicone them to the black drainage peice.

i also Re-sealed everything. taillights, sunroof, doors (i got a coupe), windows(side rear).

i also reinforced the trunk pockets (under batter, and jack holder area) i sprayed that trunk liner from autozone. about 3 layers. USe tape so it looks professional.

sorry no pics camera fell in the water. :hitler::hitler::hitler:(fucking dumb ass kid who got paid 15 dollors)

Recovered and fixed images in first post. ;)
                      Attached Files

Comment

update pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	7190735
                          This thread was super useful. I had ton of dirt stuck in there and no more wet carpet for me. Thanks!

Comment

Not sure why all my pictures get flipped. Sorry.

Comment

Passenger side leak

Hey guys,
                              I know this is an old thread but....
                              My 91 318i has lots of water on passenger foot well if it goes through a car wash or heavy rain.
                              It doesn't have a sun roof. I don't see the 'elephant trunk'.

Any ideas?
                              thanks

Comment

passenger side by the rear of the head of the motor on the fire wall

Comment

Working...
                                X