*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any interest here for a build thread that isn't all BMW? E30 chassis with a vintage Volvo body?
    Last edited by adam.nonis; 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM. Reason: Title Change

Go on...
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Ya, we're going to need some more details on this...
      sigpic
      Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
      88 Alpine 325i
      1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Well, I'm a fabricator by birth, but have become a Volvo guy over the last ten years or so. A couple of my previous cars:

My current daily driver before and after:

Long story short, I started a project about five to six years ago where I took a rusted to crap, stripped out 66 Volvo station wagon, converted it to two door and started dumping all manner of custom junk in it:

Some of the PhotoShops I had a buddy do at the beginning as renderings fairly regularly make the rounds on the web:

Anyway, it was mostly an internet hero build. It never ran, never drove, had no electrical, had no interior and just sat waiting until I would someday be able to find the time to finish. I don't have a garage at home and I have two kids, a wife and a career that sometimes take precedence. Fast forward to earlier this year. We just completed our home remodel and I'm in a solid spot in my career. I decided enough was enough and the driveway ornament had to be driven. The sheer amount of work that was left to do just flustered me. I'm a "list maker" and I just couldn't check stuff off the list faster than it was growing. I decide that the best path to having a car that I could drive and enjoy would be to just save the body and put it over some sort of running/driving chassis and I began doing some research. After lots of internet browsing and parking lot tape-measuring it turns out that an E30 is REALLY close in wheelbase and almost on the dot for width pinch weld to pinch weld. I found a guy on the Facebook PNW group that was selling an E30 'vert that he had already started parting out. I bought it, got it back to moving under it's own power and started removing metal from both cars:

Anyway, I've got tons more stuff I can post, but some forums just don't like it when people "cross pollinate" manufacturers. Also, not sure if I should just do the build thread here or put it somewhere else on the forum. Let me know what you think.

(please bear with me on the photo stuff. I've been using Photobucket for the last ten years, but with recent hostage events I'm switching photo hosting sites)
        Last edited by adam.nonis; 05-25-2018, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Photo post waiting for mod approval.

Comment

how vintage.
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I'll try just a couple pics.

Comment

Bad ass! I'm the one you got the dash from :up:
                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                  Bad ass! I'm the one you got the dash from :up:
                  Sweet, thanks! I'm gonna do my best not to hurt it while I take a mold so I can make myself a composite dash. The cowl of the Volvo isn't exactly gonna line up, so I wanted something I could mod easily.

Comment

I'm the guy you picked the exhaust up from, i sold this vert to Tom. In for updates!

Comment

Well, this should be interesting. In to see more!
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by niccuhles View Post
                        I'm the guy you picked the exhaust up from, i sold this vert to Tom. In for updates!
                        Thanks again. After figuring out some donut gasket stuff, the exhaust is back on. It's a learning curve jumping into a completely different brand of car. Next I need to give it a general tune up while I whittle away sheet metal. It's got an intermittent crank-but-not-start thing going on. No signal to the coil when it doesn't fire. Both crank sensors measure ok when unplugged (about 1K ohms). I'm learning that the Euro car with Motronic 1.0 and a 2.5 is an odd ball. It "seems" to start when I mess around with the ECU (unplug, plug, jiggle, etc). When it does start it fires right away. It does have a slight miss. I pulled the cap off and the terminals look awful. I'll keep chugging and if my large post gets mod approval they'll be a little more background info. Should I just continue on this thread, or start a fresh one? Makes more sense here? Maybe?

Comment

Sexy Volvo wagon on top of an E30? I want to see more of this for sure!

Comment

Well, this has peaked my attention....
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Vintage 2 door p220? Rad!

Comment

Working...
                              X