No announcement yet.

Charlie Gard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because elderly poverty is fucking terrible, do you think states would ever bother to implement their own social security programs if it didnt exist for the entire country? how would it be handled if you moved from one state to another partway through your working life?

its okay we get it, you're gonna cash those social security checks.

Comment

^

you know as well as the rest of us that S.S.I. was NEVER intended to be a retirement plan/sole soruce of income, or was ever really designed to even be collected by the bulk of society
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        ^

you know as well as the rest of us that S.S.I. was NEVER intended to be a retirement plan/sole soruce of income, or was ever really designed to even be collected by the bulk of society
        Hello there, it's obvious you are incapable of letting your faux right wing dogma operate in the real world.

All of you hard righties refuse to respond to what I said. NEWS FLASH it's because you can't defend it.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

^

no shit 1400 dollars a month isnt going to be a good sole source of income

and no shit again that the program had a higher ratio of contributors to collectors back when it started and average life expectancy was over 30 years less than it is today

both of these problems, in addition to z31's complaint that it's a 'ponzi scheme' (it's not) is to simply fund it better instead of trying to privatize it or cut benefits, simply remove the 200k ceiling and fund it well enough that it's no longer a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
            no shit 1400 dollars a month isnt going to be a good sole source of income

and no shit again that the program had a higher ratio of contributors to collectors back when it started and average life expectancy was over 30 years less than it is today

both of these problems, in addition to z31's complaint that it's a 'ponzi scheme' (it's not) is to simply fund it better instead of trying to privatize it or cut benefits, simply remove the 200k ceiling and fund it well enough that it's no longer a problem.
            My god I will have to partially agree with brave. Holy shit!

But your math is partially wrong. Life expectancy at SS start was close to normal retirement age, 62. At that time way more people paying in than getting benefits, less so today.

But Sleeve is spot on, as usual, SS was never a retirement plan. That has morphed over the years and now is a big par of most people's retirement funding.

The hardest part is people like maniac and brave. You all have a much longer life expectancy than older people, so your normal retirement age is going to go to 70+ years. It will be common for my kids generation to live and maniac to live way past 100 yrs.

And maniac, my kids went to public school. It's a great district education wise. We would have paid for private if necessary.

But yes, we conservatives are for some social programs that we approve of, like public schools where they work.

But most social pfograms don't work effectively. The ACA is a joke, except for the un-insureable, and there were better ways to solve that issue.
            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
              My god I will have to partially agree with brave. Holy shit!

But your math is partially wrong. Life expectancy at SS start was close to normal retirement age, 62. At that time way more people paying in than getting benefits, less so today.

But Sleeve is spot on, as usual, SS was never a retirement plan. That has morphed over the years and now is a big par of most people's retirement funding.

The hardest part is people like maniac and brave. You all have a much longer life expectancy than older people, so your normal retirement age is going to go to 70+ years. It will be common for my kids generation to live and maniac to live way past 100 yrs.

And maniac, my kids went to public school. It's a great district education wise. We would have paid for private if necessary.

But yes, we conservatives are for some social programs that we approve of, like public schools where they work.

But most social pfograms don't work effectively. The ACA is a joke, except for the un-insureable, and there were better ways to solve that issue.
              Life expectancy has plateaued. Actually it's slightly dropping in the US due to obesity and such. They think we might have hit some sort of natural limit actually. Maybe it will go up again but it looks like life expectancy is going to be more or less the same for years to come.

Comment

the aca sucks but that's because it's an effort to make a market based system with patient protections and little cost controls

the GOP sucks at figuring out how to fix healthcare, and their pursuit of a repeal with no real solution is proof of it.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                  Life expectancy has plateaued. Actually it's slightly dropping in the US due to obesity and such. They think we might have hit some sort of natural limit actually. Maybe it will go up again but it looks like life expectancy is going to be more or less the same for years to come.
                  yes the western life style and diet are playing into this a lot. I think if we were to see a shift in lifestyle and less shit in our food in general you would see that Plateau pushed up higher.
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                    Perhaps, but certainly not a permanent status quo.

Age related diseases will mostly be treatable in the next 10 years, and being able to control those diseases will lengthen life spans dramatically. Cancers are no longer going to be a death sentence.
                    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Perhaps, but certainly not a permanent status quo.

Age related diseases will mostly be treatable in the next 10 years, and being able to control those diseases will lengthen life spans dramatically. Cancers are no longer going to be a death sentence.
                      I am not so sure about this, I really think the expensive cancer treatments we have today are going to be status quo for a long time due to the fact there is so much money to be made from them. (one palliative treatment for my mother was 12k) I think its one of the down sides of the double edged sword that is for profit medical technology in general.

William Pitt-

Comment

I am not so sure about this, I really think the expensive cancer treatments we have today are going to be status quo for a long time due to the fact there is so much money to be made from them. (one palliative treatment for my mother was 12k) I think its one of the down sides of the double edged sword that is for profit medical technology in general.
                        Too many smart people working on the treatments/cures sleeve to remain locked up for profit motives.

Bill Gates is one, and besides, if I could offer a genetic based treatment that got rid of your melanoma, how many other people do you think would beat a path to my door?

I just heard a lecture on medical knowledge and technology. Medical knowledge (my numbers are suspect but you get the drift) doubled from 1875 to 1950, doubled again by 2000. doubled again by 2010, again by 2015, and is now doubling every 180 days, all due to tech.
                        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Too many smart people working on the treatments/cures sleeve to remain locked up for profit motives.

Bill Gates is one, and besides, if I could offer a genetic based treatment that got rid of your melanoma, how many other people do you think would beat a path to my door?

I just heard a lecture on medical knowledge and technology. Medical knowledge (my numbers are suspect but you get the drift) doubled from 1875 to 1950, doubled again by 2000. doubled again by 2010, again by 2015, and is now doubling every 180 days, all due to tech.
                          Moore's law

Comment

Working...
                          X