cracked dash question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cracked dash question

ive got an e30 dash laying around that has cracks in it.. dont know why i still have it.. is it useful for anything... inspire me to throw it out or convince me to keep it for something

Paint it pink and try to have some place valet your car.

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

Spray truck bed lining in the cracks to fill them up, then spray a layer of truck lining on the whole thing to match. It looked pretty good in a cherokee I saw. You could also cover it with fabric
      sigpic

Comment

Some of the lower budget discount stores sell that iron-on leather/vinal repair patch kit. Depending on the severity of the crack you might have to cut out the raised edges of the split and cut a "V" into the foam. Pack it with some of that spray-foam insulation and then you should be able to iron the patch right over it.

Comment

Originally posted by euromethod View Post
          ive got an e30 dash laying around that has cracks in it.. dont know why i still have it.. is it useful for anything... inspire me to throw it out or convince me to keep it for something
          Pretty sure that cracked E30 dashes are a dime a dozen... it's the UN-cracked ones that get people all fired up!

Comment

Repair it with the right fillers. You can also have them cover in leather for a custom look.

Considering how much these dashes go for, I would keep it and make it a DIY project.

Last edited by Javier h; 03-22-2018, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Cut it in half, get a used cluster for next to nothing and use it as a Forza gaming rig.
              Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Thanks for the 11 year necro-bump.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                  Repair it with the right fillers. You can also have them cover in leather for a custom look.

Considering how much these dashes go for, I would keep it and make it a DIY project.

This is actually what I want to do with a spare, but not real leather...

Originally posted by agent View Post
                  Thanks for the 11 year necro-bump.
                  normally I would say its a waste, but look at that dash
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If you have an old dash, could you anneal the plastic with a heat gun to prevent future cracking?
                    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      This is actually what I want to do with a spare, but not real leather...

normally I would say its a waste, but look at that dash
                      Holy shit, 11 years. Well, anyway, next winter this is my plan. If I can find someone local I would just as soon have them do leather looking vinyl.
                      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

This company will restore it and do it correctly.
                        We specialize in Classic Car Interior Restoration more than just the dash pads and instrument clusters. Check our works to know what other parts we restore.

I got a quote on having my 1987 M6 leather dash recovered and it was $5,000.00 if I brought it to them out of the car and $8,000.00 if the removed it, recovered it and reinstalled it.

There are specialty made products designed just for filling dash cracks. Just using bed liner and body filler will work if you are not too concerned with how the project looks afterwards. Even the best jobs will more than likely show the repair area through any top coating and will have to be redone after a season of heat/cold cycling.
                        1986 E30 325E
                        1989 E30 325iX
                        2003 E54 X5.
                        1993 Mercedes W124 300E
                        1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
                        2009 VW Touareg
                        2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Just Dashes will redo a Datsun Roadster dash and its not nearly as expensive but it is also $$$$ ... but the redone are said to look brand new
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah, $5k is more than I paid for the car although much less than I have in it now. But no way I'd pay that much unless we are talking investment car. I will still do the cover route with either a local upholstery shop or a premade ones from the bay.

I actually went to pull the trigger on a new one for $800 or $900, right after they all sold out unfortunately.

Comment

there is a thread on bimmerforums, in the e30 section, about a 325ic being rebuilt. he talks about how he redid his dash in the current page. it came out really good and he even removed the pockets on top of the glove box area

Comment

Working...
                              X