Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325IX restore and build continued(turbo, e34ix diff, DCT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking good buddy, ill have to come up and see sometime soon

Comment

I'm to the point where I need to test fit and conform everything will fit before i go any further. So time to start.

Motor out and next to the chillen next to other friendly Ix blocks haha

Bolded the pan to the empty block and dropped her in

The inspection plate isn't going to fit but i knew that a long time ago so I'll need to make a thinner on to clear the guibo bolts.

Small differance between 525 and 325ix front axles, nothen a lathe cant handle.

After I machined the axles they fit like a charm. The diff and axles seam to clear everything but the inspection plate.
      I drive shaft had the extended splices on it but will no longer work because the diff is much longer. This actaully benefits me because I can use a stock driveshaft and guibo and get full spline engagement into the transfercas. Since I'm pushing the entire driveshaft back the o ring is no longer in its origanal spot so i might need to work some magic and move the o ring so the plastic cover can seal the splines still

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Love reading this build. After having mine under tarps for a couple years while there were other priorities this has given me new inspiration for this summer!

What are the specs on your Garrett if you don't mind me asking? I tried looking it up and this is what I could find.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:
        •Compressor Wheel Inducer: 58mm
        •Compressor Wheel Exducer: 76mm
        •Compressor Wheel Trim: 58
        •Compressor Housing A/R: 0.60
        •Turbine Wheel Inducer: 68mm
        •Turbine Wheel Exducer: 62mm
        • Turbine Wheel Trim: 84
        2011 335i xDrive Msport - sold
        2002 M5
        '88 325ix turbo build :D

Comment

Originally posted by boogle2 View Post
          Love reading this build. After having mine under tarps for a couple years while there were other priorities this has given me new inspiration for this summer!

What are the specs on your Garrett if you don't mind me asking? I tried looking it up and this is what I could find.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:
          •Compressor Wheel Inducer: 58mm
          •Compressor Wheel Exducer: 76mm
          •Compressor Wheel Trim: 58
          •Compressor Housing A/R: 0.60
          •Turbine Wheel Inducer: 68mm
          •Turbine Wheel Exducer: 62mm
          • Turbine Wheel Trim: 84
          Thanks man and yea that's the correct specs. Here's the link for one.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Is that where you got yours? Seems a bit pricey compared to some of the other sites I have poked around at. Or do I need to be wary of fakes?

https://turbokits.com/Turbo_Chargers...6359/#galleria

And pardon the noobness, but I thought you started out with a twin-scroll setup, and this is now just a single scroll turbine? And you are still finding that the boost comes on earlier?
            2011 335i xDrive Msport - sold
            2002 M5
            '88 325ix turbo build :D

Comment

Originally posted by boogle2 View Post
              Is that where you got yours? Seems a bit pricey compared to some of the other sites I have poked around at. Or do I need to be wary of fakes?

And pardon the noobness, but I thought you started out with a twin-scroll setup, and this is now just a single scroll turbine? And you are still finding that the boost comes on earlier?
              Oh no thats just a placed I Googled for the specs, i actaully ordered mine from a performance shop I work at, but I ordered a different exhaust housing from agp turbo so its still twin scroll. I'm sure theres some fakes out there but they should be easy to spot, like brand New eBay junk for $500, Hope that help

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Did you ever end up running water lines to that turbo?

I'm wondering if TB heater provisions are the best bet, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  Did you ever end up running water lines to that turbo?

I'm wondering if TB heater provisions are the best bet, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
                  Yes I did run water lines to it. I ran one from the rear of the block that was for the tb and the other i drilled and tapped a fitting near the thermostat.

I need to fix the one by the thermostat though, drilled it to close and couldn't spin a 90deree fitting in lol

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Lots and lots of welding, this cast is defelelty no treat to weld so its not pretty but i think it will do the job. Still a lot left to go but it's getting there!

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Dude your going all the way with this build. Awesome!

Where does the other side of your crankcase vent system connect? Exhaust venturi?

Comment

Originally posted by Eskie View Post
                        Dude your going all the way with this build. Awesome!

Where does the other side of your crankcase vent system connect? Exhaust venturi?
                        Thanks man! Also it still vents up to the intake manifold like stock.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Awesome.

Quick question, not related to the build. Can the IX fit other drivelines besides the Gertag260 and transfer case? Maybe like a modern AWD setup? I know I saw a few people trying to take measurements and see how similar they are, but never saw the outcome of that.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            Awesome.

Quick question, not related to the build. Can the IX fit other drivelines besides the Gertag260 and transfer case? Maybe like a modern AWD setup? I know I saw a few people trying to take measurements and see how similar they are, but never saw the outcome of that.
                            Not sure I understand your question, you can fit anything from a m50, s54, Nissan rb, gm ls and probably anything in between and still keep it awd it just depends on how much you want to spend.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

One step closer...

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Right now would be a great time to have a mill. After over an hour of hand surfacing I got it completely flat again. I actually didn't warp as much as I though it would either. So the oil pan is now officially done!

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                                X