Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will it fit my e30? HELP! (Diff Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it fit my e30? HELP! (Diff Question)

Hey guys. I am currently trying to get a diff for my e30 now that its boosted.
    I have a 1991 318ic with a 4.27lsd (now for sale).

The diff im looking at is a 2.92 out of a 1984 325e.

I understand that the driveshaft in my car will need to be shortened or swapped in order to bolt to the 2.92lsd because my car is a 318. My question is will the axles or output shafts need to be changed to work? I have searched and know that its needed when swapping in a medium case from an e36 but am unsure about the 2.92 from the 325e. Let me know if you have any insight. thanks!

I'm not an expert on this, so I may be wrong, but I believe the issue is you have a small case diff and 325s are medium case (same as e36). So I think you do need to swap output shafts so that the flanges on the axles will fit. They just pop out they with a prybar, so that is easy. Might consider changing the seals while you are at it. There is a spring clip on the end of the output shafts that you probably want to replace as well. They are the only thing that holds them in.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      I'm not an expert on this, so I may be wrong, but I believe the issue is you have a small case diff and 325s are medium case (same as e36). So I think you do need to swap output shafts so that the flanges on the axles will fit. They just pop out they with a prybar, so that is easy. Might consider changing the seals while you are at it. There is a spring clip on the end of the output shafts that you probably want to replace as well. They are the only thing that holds them in.
      Yes, i should've mentioned that, doh. I do have a small case and the diff I'm buying is a medium case out of an e30. Wasn't sure if it made a difference.

Comment

Bump! Can anyone else confirm?

Comment

Small case and medium case are interchangeable as long as they're both out of e30s. You shouldn't have to shorten your driveshaft or anything weird like that.

Medium case e30/e28/e24 diffs use the same size differential (188mm) as the e36 medium case ones but the housing/cover/etc is different and they won't swap into an e30

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
          IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
            Small case and medium case are interchangeable as long as they're both out of e30s. You shouldn't have to shorten your driveshaft or anything weird like that.

Medium case e30/e28/e24 diffs use the same size differential (188mm) as the e36 medium case ones but the housing/cover/etc is different and they won't swap into an e30
            Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X