Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke when opening cap on Valve Head Cover

New to e30 and engines for the matter.

Opened the cap on the Valve head cover today to refill because of low oil (have to track down the leak still..) and a small amount of smoke was inside. Smells a bit burnt, but also smells like a typical motor. This was after about 15-20miles.

Could you help me understand why there is smoke inside there?

Also if you have tips of where to look for the oil leak, I would much appreciate it. I am planning on replacing the valve head cover gasket / adjust the valves soon as there is some oil leaking from the gasket/the bolts on the cover.

Any tips or information helps! Thank you!

Originally posted by PafuPafu View Post

Opened the cap on the Valve head cover today to refill because of low oil (have to track down the leak still..) and a small amount of smoke was inside. Smells a bit burnt, but also smells like a typical motor. This was after about 15-20miles.

Also if you have tips of where to look for the oil leak, I would much appreciate it. I am planning on replacing the valve head cover gasket / adjust the valves soon as there is some oil leaking from the gasket/the bolts on the cover.

just typical blow by....tired engine, nothing out of the ordinary.
    typical places for leaks: pretty much every seal there is in the engine (front and back) and rocker shaft plugs in the head. If everything is still original - bitch tube will most certainly be leaking. Sometimes HG leaks a little.

Comment

Originally posted by PafuPafu View Post

because its f*cking hot in there...?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      '90 325i sedan daily driven
      '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
        just typical blow by....tired engine, nothing out of the ordinary.
        typical places for leaks: pretty much every seal there is in the engine (front and back) and rocker shaft plugs in the head. If everything is still original - bitch tube will most certainly be leaking. Sometimes HG leaks a little.
        Thank you, makes sense. Appreciate the leads, gives me something to search for / know what I'm looking at better. Thank you!

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
        because its f*cking hot in there...?
        When you put it that way... BADASS MAN!

Comment

Can often be condensation (water) evaporating too. Nothing bad about a bit of condensation.

Comment

Working...
          X