m10 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m10 swap

Hey guys, I recently swapped a "running" m10 into my 318i. It seems like the m10 I purchase was from an 84 model, whereas my 318i is a late 85 model. What do I need to swap, other than the engine, to make it work. It is hooked up and plumbed and it doesn't want to start. When it does start (1/10 attempts) it immediately dies.

Any ideas? Are the DME's completely different? Do I need a different Ignition Control Unit?

You should just re-use everything from your old engine. I believe it was the DME, distributor, Idle control unit, and maybe ICV that they changed in 85.

Comment

I'm currently attempting to use the "old" DME (came in the car), the "new" dizzy with the "old" cap (since it was new). I'm also using the old ICU (came with the car) and the old ICV (came with the car). The dizzy is the only thing I'm using off of the "new" engine. Nothing else came with the engine except for a wiring harness...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Regardless, all of the "newer" (read 85) parts should interface with an "older" (read 84) engine?

Comment

Working...
        X