Battery won't hold a charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery won't hold a charge

Alright so now I've got a new problem.. I just got a brand new bigger battery with a higher crank voltage than the last battery so i thought that would fix the draining issue but it didn't. Checked the alternator with a voltmeter and it all checks out correctly. When the battery is fully charged the car doesn't have any problems starting, so i let it warm up, then turned it off, went inside for 30min, came back outside to start it up and the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the motor again. I cant point my finger on whats going on here now.. Alternator is fine and theres a bigger/better battery.. What else could it be?
    sigpic

Going to get a test light to see if any things staying on or if there is a short some where. Will update once i do so.
    sigpic

Comment

do you know how to hook up a voltmeter in series? on the amp setting?

then you start pulling fuses till the draw goes away, look at that circuit.

remember, bad light bulbs (broken) or bad motors that have a short, can draw enough amps to not trip the fuse, but drain the battery

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
      Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Smelser View Post
        do you know how to hook up a voltmeter in series? on the amp setting?

then you start pulling fuses till the draw goes away, look at that circuit.

remember, bad light bulbs (broken) or bad motors that have a short, can draw enough amps to not trip the fuse, but drain the battery

Yes i will try that out. Weirdly enough i got the car to start this morning and made it 20min away from my house and as soon as i got below 2k RPM the battery drained and the car died.
        sigpic

Comment

Check the voltage regulator on your alternator.

Comment

Checked the voltage regulator and it was cracked
            sigpic

Comment

Changed the voltage regulator, cleaned up the connections to the alternator and boom batteries charging again
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X