85 318i ICV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 318i ICV question

Hello, I am new to the forum and am a recent purchaser of a 1985 318i. I love the car even though it is pretty slow in the grand scheme of things its light enough to be fun still and is quite tossable in the rain we have been having. The car has the usual E30 problems, odometer doesn't work, speedo sometimes stops working (though it works more and more now that i've been driving it) and of course the signature lopey idle of a messed up idle system.

I'm not new to cars themselves, and have experience with older vehicles as well as one other vain air meter style car (I own an 86 Merkur Xr4ti as well) so I of course have been checking the basics. I took my ICV off today and it seems to be clean since it clicks when i shake it however there is no change of the engine when I unplug it or when i adjust the screw. To make it even more obvious that it is most likely bad when I look in the port i can see a smashed O ring that I'm guessing shouldnt be visible.

Is there any way to open up the ICV and service it? Also everbody here seems to be posting questions related to their 84, but not many to an 85 and from what little I have read it seems there is a difference in how the 85 is controlled vs the earlier model is this correct?

Got the idle sorted out, replaced some vacuum lines and the icv with a used one then adjusted the tps. Apparently the previous owner replaced the tps but the old one he left in the car tested good also so I guess I have a spare.

Comment

Working...
    X