Rear driveshaft options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear driveshaft options

I need a rear driveshaft bad, its vibration has gone from bad to worse lately. I've had my sights set on the one from Turner for a while because it has a replaceable u-joint.

Anyone bought one of these and can vouch for it? Is there any better options?

I've heard good things from Driveline Service in Portland, OR:

Comment

Awesome, thanks. I just sent them an email for a quote.

Comment

So they will rebuild the shaft, straighten it and fit it with an oem u-joint (staked in). 400-500$. I may still go with the Turner because of the serviceable heavy duty u-joint though.

Comment

I just got the same news - rear drive shaft ujoints are shot in my manual. Trying to decide between sourcing a new one (if I can) or having mine replaced.

Also, how difficult of a job is it? Can it be done without a lift?
          1991 325ix Coupe 5 Speed
          1990 325ix Sedan Auto
          2001 M3 Convertible 6 Speed
          +2002 M3 Convertible SMG (RIP)
          1972 Ford Bronco

Instagram: @steine20

Comment

It's pretty simple. You may have to remove your exhaust if its stock. There is a protection plate that you have to remove if I remember correctly. Then you need to loosen the slip joint nut. I use a huge pipe wrench. It's reverse threaded. As soon as you have the nut loose take all the smaller nuts off the driveshaft flange to rear diff and the yoke should slip in letting you remove the shaft. I've always done it with the cars on jack stands.

Comment

I went for it and started this project in my garage. The first issue is the manufacturer of Turner's driveshaft didn't have any cores on hand. Consequently, I had to take my driveshaft out, mail it to AZ, have them re manufacture it, and send it back. It kind of puts a crimp in using the car as it will likely be laid up for two weeks because of shipping (I was too cheap to spring a couple hundred extra for expedited shipping).
              1991 325ix Coupe 5 Speed
              1990 325ix Sedan Auto
              1972 Ford Bronco

Comment

That's funny because I had a feeling they wouldn't be able to ship one out right away. I called Turner customer service when I was considering ordering one and they told me they had one ready to ship immediately.

You'll have to let me know how it works out!

Comment

Beyermotorworks does 325ix driveshafts and I would highly recommend them, awesome customer service and I believe there the ones that do turned driveshafts.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Thanks, I’m going to try to get ahold of them tomorrow

Comment

UPDATE: Turner uses Beyermotorwerks to do the IX driveshafts. After receiving mine the other day, they contacted me and indicated my driveshaft was so destroyed they didn't think they could remfg it. Apparently the ujoint ate into the driveshaft wall and removed the part where they would otherwise put a snap ring for the new shaft. They're trying to see if they can find someone to build a new driveshaft from scratch.

In the meantime, all timetables for completion are out the window. My driver (the IX with driveshaft issues) remains on jackstands, my project IX is in for body work, and my 72 Bronco has a shot master cylinder. Consequently, I'm stuck driving my father in law's 07 Crossfire and wishing at least one of my cars would work!
                      1991 325ix Coupe 5 Speed
                      1990 325ix Sedan Auto
                      1972 Ford Bronco

Comment

I spoke to Beyermotorwerks again this afternoon. The issue is they cannot access the nut that is under the rear cup on the driveshaft (i.e. the portion right before the ujoint). Anyone know where I could find that specific part of the driveshaft or have tips on getting that nut off? The issue with using heat is that it could potentially melt a seal inside the cup.

They're at a loss and I'm at a loss. The next option would be to literally cut that cup off and hope we can figure out a way to replace it. Comments/suggestions/(prayers) all are welcome at this point!
                        1991 325ix Coupe 5 Speed
                        1990 325ix Sedan Auto
                        1972 Ford Bronco

Comment

I took one of my old ones apart about a year ago and I needed to use a torch to get the nut loose. The plastic part is avail---26117514037

is this what your talking about?

edit: also get order one of these too 26111209285. It's a toothed washer that's in there that you may as well replace.

Comment

Rear driveshaft options

Here’s a pic. Circled part is what they want to cut. Arrow is pointing to seized nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Steiner; 04-05-2019, 05:37 PM.
                            1991 325ix Coupe 5 Speed
                            1990 325ix Sedan Auto
                            1972 Ford Bronco

Comment

Rear driveshaft options

I’m not really sure how the dust shield got over top of the nut but with it loosened this much the universal joint and splined shaft should be ready to be pulled out. They shouldn’t have to cut that shield. I’d put some heat on it and see if it’ll pull out. Then I’d replace the plastic piece inside and it can be replaced separately. The shield is press fit on and can be removed FYI.

Here’s what it looked like pulled out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Eskie; 04-05-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X