This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

In a stock lowered ix, what angle is the front axles approximately?
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I'd say 10-15 degrees
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ok, angled up at the wheel end?
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

yeah, angled up

theoretically it's not really a problem for the CV shafts as they are meant to work at an angle. stock they are not straight, they actually angle down a bit.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ok thanks! I wonder because i think the M50 ended up just a tiny bit lower than the M20 but the diff might be placed higher on the pan so it might be pretty much the same.

With the car in the air the axle angles just a little bit up on the outside (maybe 5 degs or so) but i doubt the springs will compress much with the GC setup so the angle shouldn't be a problem i hope!

Also tested to fully compress the suspension without the spring in place and i think the axle misses the frame with like a hair :D

Edit: now with the outer CV machined (material was hard as f*ck!) and fully seated in the wheel bearing it looks like the axle can move atleast 10mm so its pretty good lenght wise!
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

is that the E34 shaft? I think they're slightly longer than the E30 shafts, which is just one more reason to use them. :)
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  is that the E34 shaft? I think they're slightly longer than the E30 shafts, which is just one more reason to use them. :)
                  Yes E34 shaft and CVs :)
                  E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

so machining the face was difficult? I know it's not apples/apples, but how much did it cost you to have that done? I haven't looked for a shop to do mine yet.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It wasnt problem for them couse they have all the right machines etc but they were really hard and they had to go slow they said :)
                      One issue I found out after was that it got pretty thin at a spot or two, haven't measured it very precise yet but its like 4mm thick at the thinnest spot around where the ABS ring goes. Hope it won't break :P
                      Its probably smarter to take material off the inside of the ABS ring to make it fit rather than the CV.
                      I took three of my best looking CVs and gave them (good to have a machined spare) and it cost around 70 $ for everything.
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I see, you cut it down to fit the ABS ring. Did you have to cut down the face to fit it into the E30 strut housing or are you using something else?
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I see, you cut it down to fit the ABS ring. Did you have to cut down the face to fit it into the E30 strut housing or are you using something else?
                          Yes you have to cut it down a little to fit it in the E30 housing and then a little more to fit the ring :)
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                            I think 2 months would be reasonable.
                            Obviously, I've completely failed at this :-?

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                            My first step will be having the CMM guy in the QC lab in the machine/welding shop where my dad works whip up a data package on my spare crossmember.
                            I *DID* just get the data package. I'll scan it and attach it if the file size is small enough. I've seen some good work done in Google SketchUp, so I'll download that in the next couple of months (Have a Navy qualification to finish first) and get a CAD file of the critical dimensions of the crossmember built.

Comment

nice!

I was going to give up on it, but after going back and forth between my E90 and the ix, I'm definitely going to try and make the E46 rack work. The E30 steers like a bus in comparison to the E90. my 385mm Mtech-II wheel doesn't help either.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nice!

I was going to give up on it, but after going back and forth between my E90 and the ix, I'm definitely going to try and make the E46 rack work. The E30 steers like a bus in comparison to the E90. my 385mm Mtech-II wheel doesn't help either.
                                Since my engine clears the stock rack, would a E46 rack bolt in more easily or do you still have to do alot of work?
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X