Best way to clean the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to clean the engine

Been tearing into a new to me m10. Working on changing the timing and oil pump chains, as well as other parts while i'm in there. Also dropping the oil pan so i can scrape out some more sludge from there. What is the best way to remove as much of the built up sludge as possible without completely tearing apart the engine or pulling it out of the car?

I do plan on running seafoam through the engine when it's running again to try and get as much gunk out of the areas I can't get to with the valve cover, timing cover, and oil pan removed.

Pics for reference:

I did something similar a few weeks ago, since I was replacing my oil pan gaskets. Mine wasn't as bad as yours, though.

I usually start with mechanical means first, once I get the big chunks out, move to a brake cleaner or something similar to loose more junk. Once you've gone through and gotten most of the sludge with the brake cleaner, brushes, and other means, throw some of your favorite snake oil (seafoam, atf, etc) and then flush the motor with some fresh oil.

Make sure that your oil pickup is free of trash. edit: also, make sure that the chain tensioner and ball are operating correctly.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

If you're looking for oil additives that will clean the engine try bobistheoilguy.com. I've seen some pretty cool pictures from some cleaners there. Some of them are multistage and can be expensive though.

Comment

butterson <----- check your Pm's please, firepay was in early!!!

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Ok, I just wasn't sure about using brake clean in the engine. Sounds like that is the plan for this weekend. Thanks!

Comment

brake clean as a solvent is used just about anywhere and everywhere by mechanics. some work better then others. if you dont have a favorite brand. get one of each availble and see what you like best. all brands are NOT alike.

hell, you have the pan off, I wouldnt hesitate to use a pressure washer with HOT water. lil degreaser. it will clean up nice.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
            Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

I wish I took some before/after pics of the the timing case covers. Went to town with the Purple Power this weekend on those and the valve cover. Went from black sludge covered to bright aluminum again.

Comment

Working...
              X