No announcement yet.

Valve adjustment help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDC compression, the lobes will be facing 'mostly down', with the exhaust on the intake
    side of the head, and the intake lobe on the exhaust side of the head.

And that's where I move each cylinder to, then adjust both the intake and exhaust.
    It's not particularly critical, it's just consistent.

All you want to particularly avoid is adjusting a valve when the lobe is on the top half
    (rocker side) of the camshaft.

Have at it- takes maybe an hour the first time or 2, and gets easier from there.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yup so I was driving generally high revs and then once I get on the freeway I put it into 4th at low revs and I hear something go ping like really quietly and the engine turns off temp gauge is fine and it wouldn't start :/ it's with the mechanic now bummer since I bought the feeler gauge online and it's coming in the mail what happened?!

Comment

Bad news bent valves and broken belt engine died and I'm not spending money on a crap 1.6 engine this sucks no car for 3 months

Comment

thought it was a 1.8, and it was chain driven

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
          Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

I really don't know the car is a mystery I still can't find a vin but it's regesterd as 316 if I'm going to replace it I'm deffinatly going m20 screw m10 and m42 haha but can't wait until I Save money in the summer I want to do the m50 swap already

Comment

Btw m10 reliability sucks! :p

Comment

I hear a lot of people say the M10 is the lil engine that could. I got mine so hot, ran it without water. we put some in, and it boiled when it hit the rad. its still alive.

heard people say they just keep on chuggin, no horsepower, but they wont stop.

Comment

broken belt
                  The M10 has a chain. And it's a tank, except for if you really overheat it.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I ran my m10 to redline all day everyday. No problems ever besides bad icv's. If I had to get another e30 would definitely be another m10 car. Something about them than a m20 will never understand. Bombing tight canyon roads in 4-6krpm range foot through the floor is so much fun.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                      The M10 has a chain. And it's a tank, except for if you really overheat it.

t
                      ran mine out of coolant on the track. kept going a few more laps, wide open, was so hot it wouldnt idle, or take water.

it still runs to this day.

Comment

Those are really amazing stories and I'm sorry I have to translate the mechanics words from Arabic to English so nothing is specific but from what I know it's some kind of belt that has to do with the whole engine turning that bent the valves and possibly the camshaft needs replacing idk tbh but it's either a 300$ fix like a total engine rebuild or a 400$ 318 according to my mechanic my 1.6 valves can't be adjusted like the rest of the cars and it's not the cause of the problem he said the belt or chain or whatever it is broke just like the rest of the cars belts that break but when mines break the whole engine breaks so I don't want to make you guys mad or anything since I know you adore the m10 but that's what happens

Comment

Hmmm... well, you're describing a cam drive belt, which an M10 never had...

Is it maybe an M40?

In the US, that never made it into an E30...

t

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                            Hmmm... well, you're describing a cam drive belt, which an M10 never had...

Is it maybe an M40?

In the US, that never made it into an E30...

t
                            I think you're right, Toby. The M10s just require some fuel and oil and they'll go for miles
                            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Bingo I have a euro 316 and I defiantly think it's a m40 thanks guys no wonder I can't do a valve adjustment

Comment

Yup- hydraulic tappets! Sorry about the motor, though...

t

Comment

Working...
                                X