One thing leads to another...tie rods and axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing leads to another...tie rods and axles

This all started with me wanting to replace my LCAs. After much cursing and other violent words (and a trip to Harbor Freight for a high speed cutter) I managed to get them off.

Not able to just stop there. I knew I had a torn inner CV boot on the passenger side. The problem is, the PO shredded the axle nut to the point where I can't really tell that a nut was ever there. So, I figure while I have the LCA off and there is some play, I should try to get the axle out and replace the torn boot. This is where it starts quickly going downhill.

In order to get more room for the axle to come out, I decide to pull out the pull the tie rod end out of the steering kuckle (hub). The nut seizes and starts to rotate the ball joint..it's high speed cutter time again. Now that my tie rod end is is shot, I have to get the outer tie rod end off of the inner, somehow. And this is where I'm stuck. It appears that the outer tie rod is so corroded to the inner, so I'm not able to seperate the two. Can anyone suggest something here?

Also, how in the heck am I supposed to pop the axle out of the differential housing?? As I understand it, I should be able to just 'pry' it out with a screwdriver, but I had no such luck last night?

Thanks for any and all help
    mike
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Past: lots of stuff
    Present: e46 m3
    2010 F150 Lariat
    1990 E30 Touring
    1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV
    2000 Odessey Millenia 210

Mike, you can pop it out, I didnt believe it either when I tried it. But they pop out, the fact that it is hard to do speaks well of your seals. It may be easier to take the half shafts completly off the might be putting stress on the diff hats causing a bind.
    Yours truly,
    Rich
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Rigmaster
    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

oh crap sorry you have an IX, it should work the same..... Do you have a bentley? http://www.bentleypublishers.com
      Yours truly,
      Rich
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Rigmaster
      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

I do have a Bentley that I got from Bavauto. Unfortunately, Bentley doesn't make (as far as I'm aware) a manual for the iX. Nor do they include it in their e30 manual.

So, I'm screwed there.

I haven't gotten under the car in a couple days. I'll try to pop them out again, later this week. Wish me luck.....
        _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
        Past: lots of stuff
        Present: e46 m3
        2010 F150 Lariat
        1990 E30 Touring
        1/4 e34 LeMons car

2004 Malibu 23 LSV
        2000 Odessey Millenia 210

Comment

Working...
        X