1990 325is Built turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 325is Built turbo

Disclaimer: I'm not a guru of any sort and hope to have some help along the way.

This will be my first turbo experience of any kind. I've slowly come to grasps with the idea of turbo charging and how all this is working beyond the sweet sounds and pops they produce.

I did my best to piece together a good platform where I could slowly work out the weak spots and end up with an engine I'm happy with for a long time.

Leading up:

With all this "24v swap brah" going on, I knew I had to stick with the m20 to make this unique. I did have a super nice m50 sedan that I loved dearly but that was unfortunately taken away from me by the negligence of a drunk driver. St. Pattys day 2017 I was minding my own, drying my car off after washing it, when suddenly a rickety a** Expedition slammed right into my face at a rate of speed you never want to imagine..

Insert pain here:

So here I am, alive n' shit.. Took all of over a year to recover. Still need multiple surgeries to be back in one piece (Both ACL's, Knee, Hip Labrum, Broken collar bone, Hurnia's) Not much insurance was paid out due to the guy having shit coverage, but I fought till I felt happy with the property damage and they basically threw the bodily injury coverage at me.

The search:

I looked and looked and craigslist was weak for a long time. 5,500 for my rusty project here, 2,500 for undesirable junk there. Then, November 6th, 2017 I brought home the one. A very humble r3v member out of Jacksonville, FL (5 hour round trip) posted up his car for sale. Most honest car seller I've ever dealt with. The car needed some love but it was all there for $2,100. Most of the time I felt jipped after a purchase, Not once with this one.

Day I drove her home:

A few spit shines later and a snazzy set of wheels and I think its more than presentable now

Comment

On to the fun stuff!

Did I mention this is a BUDGET build!? I'm super proud of the amount spent on this car as a whole vs. the potential turnaround it could bring if I ever decided to sell it.

The Block:

I picked this up from a guy in Orlando who had recently built this motor to only spring a fuel leak within a few hundred miles of getting it together and burning up his car to a non salvageable condition. Never r3vved over 4k, not even dyno tuned. Super sad.

He left me with a few pieces of paper and a lot of excitement for $1,000 spent on it

Also has a brand new OEM oil bump (around $800) and a nice tig welded oil pan for the turbo drain.

It did sit in his garage for a few months.. Lathered it up with some oil and it looks a lot better than this picture does.

Comment

oof man that crunched sedan hurt. This new coupe looks pretty damn clean man! looking forward to this. I wish turbo builds were legal here....
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Build list

-Polished and balanced 2.7L crank

-Custom 8.7 CR JE turbo piston, Over-bored slightly

-Molnar H-beams with ARP rod bolts

-New OEM oil pump

-All new engine seals and gaskets (Thanks FCP Euro)

Turbo parts list

On that same day I picked up the block, I arranged to pick up this turbo "kit" from a nice young chap also in Orlando. Crazy how that worked out.

This kit contained:

-666 fabrication log manifold
          -Rebuilt HX35 with BEP housing to convert it to external wastegate
          -Tial 38mm WG w/ screamer pipe
          -TurboXS BOV
          -CX racing turbo back exhaust
          -Another TIG welded Oil pan
          -Larger e-bay intercooler
          -Mustang injectors (sold them)
          -Various couplings and clamps
          -Summit Oil filter relocation kit (not needed for mani just using for oil cooler)
          -(2) Oil feed lines w/ Bimmer Heads oil sensor adapter

All for $700!

I've searched and searched online for another 666fab log mani and haven't found a single one. (Any help here would be appreciated)

Other pieces I've obtained are

-MS2/extra with long pig tail $300
          -Deka 80lb injectors $80
          -Walbro 450lph intank fuel pump $100
          -Stage 5 ebay clutch $200
          -New ARP head studs $100
          -LC-2 Wideband controller w/gauge $120
          -M50 VTPS $20
          -GM AIT sensor $20

All that's left is some charge piping and I'm ready to tackle this project

Comment

Again, if you see any conflicting parts here that don't make sense, please speak up. This flame suit is zipped.

Gathering parts is easy, Making them all work together flawlessly is not!

ANY advice is appreciated.

Thats all I have till later folks, Peace out.
            Last edited by Misinformed Youth; 06-03-2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Misinformed Youth View Post
              With all this "24v swap brah" going on, I knew I had to stick with the m20 to make this unique.
              subbed

-Do late models have 2 fuel pumps? Would my in-tank get disrupted by the in-line? (if there is one)
              Late models just have the single, in-tank pump.

Where in PA are you located?

Im liking where this is going. Excited to see more progress.

Originally posted by 2mAn
              The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

I'm around the Poconos in a shitty town called Honesdale. Not used to the country or small town minded people. They see my car and report me to the police just 4 being schwarz :hitler: I bet they'll really love me when I'm finished with this

I'm heading for a classy drift/street car I can take to Pocono Raceway.

After the motor's out of the way and my pockets can recover I'm throwing in Kirkey seats and a chromoly cage. I think the black and chrome scheme will be shweet.

I've always loved driving. I skateboarded my whole life and after the accident its the only way I can "go out and play" anymore.

Comment

I'm around the Poconos in a shitty town called Honesdale. Not used to the country or small town minded people. They see my car and report me to the police just 4 being schwarz :hitler: I bet they'll really love me when I'm finished with this
                  I have a bunch of friends up there and have spent a ton of time up in Shamokin, Weatherly, Wilburton, Thorpe, etc. Next time I'm up that way for some coal mine jeepin' I'll keep an eye out for you!
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I go to school up in Williamsport. I skate too, I'm glad you can fulfill that urge with e30's!

Originally posted by 2mAn
                    The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

nice project and score on the turbo components!
                      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
                        I go to school up in Williamsport. I skate too, I'm glad you can fulfill that urge with e30's!

Heres a video I shot quite a few years back. This kid was 13 years old at the time. Super talented.

Comment

New meats for the rear. Front 205/45r16 rear 205/50r16

No rubbing in the back at all which surprised me.

Love when the rocks get thrown up in the arches with sticky tires!

$85 shipped to my door for 2 tires what a damn deal.

Comment

Heres a video I shot quite a few years back. This kid was 13 years old at the time. Super talented.

https://youtu.be/iS9IYTcTJHk
                            haha it seems like an obligation that skate videos be shot with a massive fish eye :D

Excited to see where this build goes! Always interested in a budget m20 turbo.
                            89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                            I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

nice e30. where did you find the good deal on ms2?

Comment

Working...
                              X