Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

179 ECU came in a donor 325i motor

Hey guys,

Recently my dad helped me purchase a 325i donor motor for my 2.7 Alpina build. My base car is my 1984 323i, and really want to stroke it to 2.7 using the Alpina specs. With almost all the work being done by my dad and I, there really isn't much experience in the "computer" side of these cars between us, apart from him being a Auto Mechanic in his younger days and rebuilding some older cars. This might be the first project we have where things get a little bit more complex.

Today I was intrigued on how to get much better performance from the ECU and saw the number 179 off of the ECU we pulled. I searched on various sites and most of them said most, if not all of the 325i came with 173. After much more digging I did find that the ECUs come with the VIN stamped on a sticker, and that VIN decoded says that that ECU belonged to a 535i E34.

I'm not completely sure if the car was running when we purchased the motor because we went off of what the previous owner told us, he assured us that the car ran until the moment he decided to part it out and sell it and the only reason he was selling it was because the car had some TAX problems and had to cancel the car registration (things work a bit different here in Colombia).

I've seen that with the harness and everything matching a M30, the ECU should control all the motors functions, but I would like a concrete response from someone that has seen that whole amalgamation working, or if the 179 does work as a plug and play on a M20 harness and all that mess.

Thanks to all in advance!

you should use the correct ecu for the m20, either 173 or 380 or similar. the 179 is for the m30 big six with different torque curve and cam profile.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

the 173 and 179 are electronically identical but have different chips. you can run an M20 no problem with an m20-chipped 179, and vice versa for an m30-chipped 173.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
      X