Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 5-Speed Swap

Hi guys,
    I'm getting mentally prepared to swap out an automatic transmission for a manual 5 speed. Car is a 91 E34, tranny is ZF4HP22 and 5er would be from an 89 525.
    My question is about keeping my driveshaft and differential. Can I keep them? Or must they be replaced by units made for the manual box?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Rockabilly_Rebel; 07-18-2018, 05:26 AM.

The diff should be fine but it will have a ratio that may be a little high for your expectations. You may want to go with something like a 3.55 or better. The driveshaft will probably be a different length though. Not sure on an e34. I just swapped a manual into an 88 6 from an 85 six. Used the 85 manual cars driveshaft. Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

Yes driveshaft length will likely be an issue. But once you swap the driveshaft you may likely have to swap the diff too - the flange sizes where the driveshaft connects to the diff appears to be a different diameter between auto/manual cars and they may not be interchangeable.

Auto to manual length side by side- the manual is tiny! (This is a ZF from an early e34). I would recommend trying to source the complete setup from a manual car. Even if for some reason the diffs will swap, the ratios may not jive. The ZF trans has a 1:1 5th gear ratio - there is no overdrive like the auto has, so a numerically lower rear diff ratio is normally preferable. Depends on what your tolerance is for your rev counter and highway speeds

-Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
      '95 525iT
      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
      '98 Disco 1

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Working...
        X