No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not my car unfortunately. I am not 100% sure how much camber he is running, but reading through his build thread it looks like somewhere around -2.5 degrees. It is R3V member Dinanm3atl's car. It was COTM back in July 2010.

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    Well that doesnt look too bad at all, how much camber are you running there?

I am thinking with the extra weight of the S54 will push it down a bit.
    Last edited by Bimmerguy91; 09-20-2017, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Hmm... It's a little pokey but if I were you I'd get the suspension/camber dialed in before giving up on these gorgeous wheels.

Since you asked in my build thread, my RS are 16x7.5 ET11 and 16x7.5 ET20. A bit of a weird setup, but with M3 arches you can get away with a lot more.
      '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
        Hmm... It's a little pokey but if I were you I'd get the suspension/camber dialed in before giving up on these gorgeous wheels.

Since you asked in my build thread, my RS are 16x7.5 ET11 and 16x7.5 ET20. A bit of a weird setup, but with M3 arches you can get away with a lot more.
        Yea I am thinking that, although the LM's look pretty damn nice and are exactly the flushness I want.

Here is a members car with them and they have basically the same BBK in terms of size (there is actually a little wider).

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

So I decided against the LM's for now, I may buy them anyway to have a second set of wheels down the road if I go to a show or something, but thats on hold.

Seeing the RSs go made me cry, but they are going to a good local E30 owner who has a 325is that he is working on restoring so I am glad they are in good hands.

I am sticking with 16's so I can keep my tires since I have 5 of them. I have a custom set of E38 Style 5's coming.

This is where the BBK actually helps me, since its thinner and is cut different I can clear them with the Style 5s and zero spacers!! Plus I will feel a bit better about autocrossing them and they look more correct.

Anyway onto today's work. So I need to do a lot of stuff on the rear end. All new bushings, suspension, gas tank (dent drives me nuts) blah blah blah.

So what do you do first, drop the exhaust right? Easy! Well easy unless the exhaust is welded in all one piece from the headers back. So break out the grinder and sawzall to get the last bit at the top. Since the whole exhaust system is going to be trashed anyway with a different set up for the S54 I just cut it off past the headers.

Needed to get to the drive shaft bolts which were pretty rusted. Since they were I decided to take down all the exhaust shields to get a better line to shoot some penetrating oil in there and go from the front instead of the back. I am going to let that sit overnight and hit them during the week. Sucks that I am traveling this week I wanted to get the frame down and cleaned up. I did see some rust on it, may give me an excuse to get a Gargistic frame.

This car has been in a garage since I bought it, but I guess the PO had let it outside and in a barn during the winter, I think there was a chipmunk living on the heat shield. When I dropped it a bunch of acorns and little nuggets came out.

Heat shield out, I was going to clean up and paint, but they seem to be pretty cheap online, I may just replace.

The underneath looks pretty solid, I fixed all the rust I could see when I bought the car after I stripped it, but I haven't had to have this look at it yet behind the the shield. Looks pretty good, all the rust proofing its still in tact.

Comment

So I decided against the LM's for now, I may buy them anyway to have a second set of wheels down the road if I go to a show or something, but thats on hold.

Seeing the RSs go made me cry, but they are going to a good local E30 owner who has a 325is that he is working on restoring so I am glad they are in good hands.

I am sticking with 16's so I can keep my tires since I have 5 of them. I have a custom set of E38 Style 5's coming.

This is where the BBK actually helps me, since its thinner and is cut different I can clear them with the Style 5s and zero spacers!! Plus I will feel a bit better about autocrossing them and they look more correct.

Anyway onto today's work. So I need to do a lot of stuff on the rear end. All new bushings, suspension, gas tank (dent drives me nuts) blah blah blah.

So what do you do first, drop the exhaust right? Easy! Well easy unless the exhaust is welded in all one piece from the headers back. So break out the grinder and sawzall to get the last bit at the top. Since the whole exhaust system is going to be trashed anyway with a different set up for the S54 I just cut it off past the headers.

Needed to get to the drive shaft bolts which were pretty rusted. Since they were I decided to take down all the exhaust shields to get a better line to shoot some penetrating oil in there and go from the front instead of the back. I am going to let that sit overnight and hit them during the week. Sucks that I am traveling this week I wanted to get the frame down and cleaned up.

This car has been in a garage since I bought it, but I guess the PO had let it outside and in a barn during the winter, I think there was a chipmunk living on the heat shield. When I dropped it a bunch of acorns and little nuggets came out.

Heat shield out, I was going to clean up and paint, but they seem to be pretty cheap online, I may just replace.

The underneath looks pretty solid, I fixed all the rust I could see when I bought the car after I stripped it, but I haven't had to have this look at it yet behind the the shield. Looks pretty good, all the rust proofing its still in tact.

Last edited by Staszek; 10-01-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Nice progress!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

The new gas tank is in. I went aftermarket since I couldnt justify $1000 for the OEM tank and a few others have installed the spectra with no problems.

What I didnt like is that it comes in silver. So I did the first coat of black paint today. I also bought Wurth Underbody paint for the bottom of the tank which matches the OEM texture. I will be spraying some of the rest of the bottom with that as well to make it look newer.

Comment

Put Wurth coating on the bottom of the new tank today to give it more of that OEM rust coated look. I love this Wurth stuff!! I plan on coating the bottom of the car and wheel wells with it as well to make the bottom of the car shine like new as well as give it a bit more rust proofing. I need to power wash and degrease it first, but no time like the present with the tank, drive shaft and rear subframe about to be removed.

I finally pulled the new 3.46 diff out to get it prepped for install. I am going to replace the gasket and put in new fluid.I was also going to repaint it but really the body of the Diff is in really good shape! So I will probably just repaint the diff cover which isnt bad but not as clean as the rest of the stuff.

These babies came in too! Converting to studs.
                  Last edited by Staszek; 10-17-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I love my 3.46 lsd. It is the perfect gear ratio in my opinion.
                    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                      I love my 3.46 lsd. It is the perfect gear ratio in my opinion.
                      Thanks, I originally had a 3.73 ready to go, but I was worried it would be too aggressive for the S54 since the difference and tire size and the weight.

I have a 4.10 LSD in the car now that I will be selling once I pull it out.

Comment

Thanks, I originally had a 3.73 ready to go, but I was worried it would be too aggressive for the S54 since the difference and tire size and the weight.

I have a 4.10 LSD in the car now that I will be selling once I pull it out.
                        I may be interested in it if I can get my money situated within the next few weeks.

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

AHHH HELP!!

So after spending most of the day getting everything out of the way to drop the subframe, Im on the last 4 bolts.....and of course 3 of the 4 were stripped!

I dont know what to do, I cant get them out, I need help and options. I am stuck.

Comment

AHHH HELP!!

So after spending most of the day getting everything out of the way to drop the subframe, Im on the last 4 bolts.....and of course 3 of the 4 were stripped!

I dont know what to do, I cant get them out, I need help and options. I am stuck.

You are going to have to drill them out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

You could always weld a nut on. But you might be able to take a dremel and cut a slit for a flat head attachment on a impact driver.
                              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                You could always weld a nut on. But you might be able to take a dremel and cut a slit for a flat head attachment on a impact driver.
                                Tried that didnt work. Looks like I will have to drill them out.

Comment

Working...
                                X