• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    I was an official for NASA for 4yr,
    I bet you have some stories to tell.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Being around car shows most my life (that being car shows for domestic cars). They are mostly in the evenings. 4-9 usually for times. Early ones are mostly all day big events. If one is scheduled to be early, count me out. I want to sleep in. :yawn: I do see the irony in me posting this at 7am.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        I bet you have some stories to tell.
        Lips=sealed.

Although, I do have many stories about the different drivers/groups. One of my favorites was the guy in group 3 with a nice lambo who parked it in every turn. He held me back in the w210/ls1 build we did for several laps. Finally gave a point by, and approached him after. He said "I "let" you go by me" lol. In my mind, if you didnt see a car in your mirror at the beginning of the session, but did 3 laps in, that car is "probably" faster. But whatevs, can't fix stupid, even with money.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
          Those are some awesome home tracks! The new PIRC is so much fun.
          PittRace is freaking amazing and continues to get better with the new owner. He has many more upgrades planned. Nelson Ledges recently has a new owner as well with deep pockets and big plans. You'd love that track by the way because it's an extremely fast momentum course. Great for older sports cars to keep up with the big guys. Mid-Ohio is quickly becoming a dump and that was one of the nicest tracks 20 years ago. Even with Honda ownership the last few years, they put absolutely no money into it.

Originally posted by agent View Post
          Or spend the night at a hotel/motel/VRBO near the track...?

I rent a hotel, or tent it when it's cool enough. Most tracks have public showers even.

I hit Sebring (2.5hr away), Homestead (1.25hr), Daytona (5hr), and Road Atlanata (9hr). The only one worth driving to in the A.M. is Palm Beach (1hr), but the closest hotel is 30min away, so it's a wash really.

I was an official for NASA for 4yr, and there's no way you could fit everyone's session in (generally 4 groups, 4 sessions/day multiplied by 30min, plus 30min lunch) and be finished at a reasonable hour. We would be gridding cars at 7:30 for the 8am group and the last group finishes at 5:30, then trophy's/dinner etc, not many go to bed before 4 digits hit the clock. Then add time for the officials to be putting cones/banners/signs up before the event, then taking them down after. :/
          I don't mean it as an insult in any way, but anyone that's ever been to Nelson would laugh hysterically at that notion. It's out in the middle of BFE, third world conditions. There was a bathroom out in the middle for corner workers that was just a large pipe coming out of the ground with a toilet seat zip screwed to it. The corner workers used to camp out in old, dilapidated trailers. One trailer had the roof cut out with a fire pit INSIDE lol. The closest town is 20 minutes away in Warren and you'd have to guard your stuff with an AR, even then you might not stand a chance. Out of towners usually stay near Cleveland about an hour away. People from central and western Ohio usually get up early at 1 or 2am and drive up that morning.

I guess I'm just kind of spoiled to having so much cheap track time available. Most of the events I go to have three sessions for 3 groups in the morning, then start combining groups after lunch until its just an open track at about 3:00 when half the people have left. I was at Nelson two weeks ago. We started on track at 8:00am, stopped for lunch, went up until 6:00pm, stopped for dinner, then most everyone waited around for night sessions that began at 10:00pm.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrasky View Post
            I don't mean it as an insult in any way, but anyone that's ever been to Nelson would laugh hysterically at that notion. It's out in the middle of BFE, third world conditions. There was a bathroom out in the middle for corner workers that was just a large pipe coming out of the ground with a toilet seat zip screwed to it. The corner workers used to camp out in old, dilapidated trailers. One trailer had the roof cut out with a fire pit INSIDE lol. The closest town is 20 minutes away in Warren and you'd have to guard your stuff with an AR, even then you might not stand a chance. Out of towners usually stay near Cleveland about an hour away. People from central and western Ohio usually get up early at 1 or 2am and drive up that morning.

I guess I'm just kind of spoiled to having so much cheap track time available. Most of the events I go to have three sessions for 3 groups in the morning, then start combining groups after lunch until its just an open track at about 3:00 when half the people have left. I was at Nelson two weeks ago. We started on track at 8:00am, stopped for lunch, went up until 6:00pm, stopped for dinner, then most everyone waited around for night sessions that began at 10:00pm.

None taken, and wow, that's horrible. At least PBIR has a portable for a bathroom, but they don't have much pavement in the parking lot, so many people end up in the grass, and being FL, it get's muddy real quick with the afternoon rain. Plus the track itself is kinda boring to me with it's round-a-bout type carousel turns. Kills the left front tire in no time unless you rotate tires often. People go through multiple tires at the endurance races when we can get 2 races at a track like Sebring. I only go there when we have to test a car, and that's the closes track day available.

EDIT: Just went on NL website and it's similar distances to hotel like PBIR as well.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

If I'm going to wake up before 7, I better be getting paid or laid
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

can't fix stupid, even with money.
                I expected more!!!!!
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                X