86 Getting Full Respray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 Getting Full Respray

My 89,000 mile 2-owner 325E is currently at my local body shop for a full respray.

Staying with the original maroon metallic using a base coat/clear coat. The car was originally a CA car and the body shop guy was very happy and impressed to work on a car, I am in Massachusetts, that had zero rust. The only issue for a respray was because everything else was so nice on the car that it really deserved it. The clear coat was/had failed and took away from the rest of the car. The shop said the only way to properly repaint the car, and I am not body expert, was to remove all the windows and strip everything to bare metal. They then sealed it, primed it and it is now at the stage where they are starting to block sand it.
    Attached Files
    1986 E30 325E
    1989 E30 325iX
    2003 E54 X5.
    1993 Mercedes W124 300E
    1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
    2009 VW Touareg
    2007 Porsche Cayman S

Is it easier to paint hanging upside down like that?

I love maroon on these...."Burgundrot?"

Comment

What's it gonna run you? Just out of curiosity
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

^I would like to know this as well
        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Yes, the best way to repaint a car is to remove all windows, trim, doors, ect and strip it to bare metal.

Here is the link to my car build, more specifically its to the post were my brother and I stripped it to metal, sealed it with chromate free wash primer, primer that we blocked smooth, blend coat (pretty much clear coat with some base coat in it to darken the car from gray primer to base coat color), base coat and then clear coat.

CLICK ME!!!

Feedback Thread

Comment

interested in price and after pics. I have 2 CA cars with peeling clear coat that both badly need paint

Comment

Also interested in pricing, going to have to do mine before too long.

Comment

Working...
              X