X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    yeah, an E30 is far from an ideal music-reproduction environment

all you really need to be able to do is recognize that it's Hotline Bling being blasted out of them on repeat and not something else
    you used to call me on my cell phone, kronus.

:(

(we should hang out sometime, shane is trying to get me on his lemons team with the CRX but i keep having work and life get in the way)
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

life here too, maybe too much of it. my next weekend without a cyclone of shit in it is literally in may.
      cars beep boop

Comment

I can’t use those speakers with tweeters can I? I need components or something right? Pretty sure only 1 out of my 4 premiums on the laguna are working..

On a side note, does anyone here have experience with old vw bugs? Been thinking once I get my new ‘88 325is on the road I’ll sell the laguna and get an old vw bug to make into a class 11 daily/fun car.

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
          you used to call me on my cell phone, kronus.

:(

(we should hang out sometime, shane is trying to get me on his lemons team with the CRX but i keep having work and life get in the way)

Which CRX? Lemons is always awesome and about the only time I see Kronus IRL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
            I can’t use those speakers with tweeters can I? I need components or something right? Pretty sure only 1 out of my 4 premiums on the laguna are working..
            Nah, but they make a similar component speaker set with a crossover and tweeter for $70 (Rockford Fosgate R152-S).

I wouldn't say that I'm blown away by the speakers I got, but they're adequate and I'm satisfied with their quality at $37 a pair. The only annoyance is that the driver-front speaker is super quiet compared to the other 3, so the sound isn't balanced. But that's more likely a problem with my head-unit.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post

On a side note, does anyone here have experience with old vw bugs? Been thinking once I get my new ‘88 325is on the road I’ll sell the laguna and get an old vw bug to make into a class 11 daily/fun car.
              Why not? I'm pretty sure you could just plug the factory tweeter wires into the speakers. If you went a step further and put in crossovers. Signal from the head unit into the crossover, then split the low/medium frequency to the mains, and the high frequency to the tweeters. Not really that hard to do. With the back, you can do the same thing in the stock housings, and use the factory tweeters that are already installed.

Will
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                Why not? I'm pretty sure you could just plug the factory tweeter wires into the speakers.
                non-premium speakers don't have built-in crossovers so you can't
                cars beep boop

Comment

And by non premium you also be non-component speakers correct?

Comment

by non-premium i mean factory e30 speakers from cars without the premium sound package.

premium speakers have built-in crossovers that you can plug tweeters into.

aftermarket component speakers typically have built-in tweeters and don't usually have lugs for plugging in external tweeters to the crossover output.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by justinpirie View Post
                      Which CRX? Lemons is always awesome and about the only time I see Kronus IRL.

new car, hasn't seen a track yet. shane is one of the guys that used to run the uhaul rx-7. i've known that dude for about 20 years, through music (we both used to be, ahem, "more-active" djs), us both working in tech, and our common interest in motorsports. walk up and start talking to him about any of those subjects and you'll have a new friend.
                      past:
                      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:
                      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

also refurbishing houses now apparently

shane's a good dude
                        cars beep boop

Comment

also refurbishing houses now apparently

shane's a good dude

I’m so over tiling! Tech and motorsports goes down well at the 177 Celica.

Comment

by non-premium i mean factory e30 speakers from cars without the premium sound package.

premium speakers have built-in crossovers that you can plug tweeters into.

aftermarket component speakers typically have built-in tweeters and don't usually have lugs for plugging in external tweeters to the crossover output.

Idk if it’s because I’m reading off my phone but I’m still a bit confused. So if components typically already have built in tweeters is there a specific type of aftermarket speaker I need to be able to run my existing external tweeters? Or is it an option I just need to search for and consider when purchasing speakers? I’m looking to replace only the stock premium speakers, not the tweeters also.

I’m sure I could always read a bit more in the audio section and figure this out.

Comment

Originally posted by justinpirie View Post
                              I’m so over tiling! Tech and motorsports goes down well at the 177 Celica.
                              lol, yeah, that looked like a hassle.

we're making progress on the willys tonight, I hope.

Originally posted by mbonanni
                              Idk if it’s because I’m reading off my phone but I’m still a bit confused. So if components typically already have built in tweeters is there a specific type of aftermarket speaker I need to be able to run my existing external tweeters? Or is it an option I just need to search for and consider when purchasing speakers? I’m looking to replace only the stock premium speakers, not the tweeters also.

I’m sure I could always read a bit more in the audio section and figure this out.
                              there are component speakers and coaxial speakers. all aftermarket speakers with built-in tweeters are coaxial and have internal crossovers. component speakers are designed to be combined with tweeters, but most do not package crossovers into the speaker.

the bmw premium speakers are pretty unique in that they do, which means that for factory premium sound to be able to split to tweeters, you don't need discrete crossovers.

if you end up with aftermarket component speakers, you will need a crossover if they don't come with one, which is likely to be the case.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Interesting, thanks a lot. [emoji1689]

Comment

Working...
                                X