Swapping E36 3.23 LSD gears into E30 3.73 LSD diff case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping E36 3.23 LSD gears into E30 3.73 LSD diff case

Before you say anything, I know this is probably a mistake, but I’m hard headed. I’m going to take apart an E36 M3 diff that I have with 3.23 gears in it and swap to my e30 housing to avoid hacking my sub frame, drilling holes in the trunk and whatever other nonsense that would cause.

I think the method of doing this is pretty straight forward after I’ve set up pinion gear depth. I just don’t know how to do that step. I’ve already disassembled the e36 diff and documented that with pics to make sure I’m not losing track of parts, assembly order, etc. In hindsight, there was probably a way to measure off of the pinion face to the center of the ring gear, or from the diff cover flange as a datum to re-setup the gear mesh.

My biggest concern is setting pinion depth from the e36 pinion in an e30 housing. They are both 188mm diffs, but I’m really not sure of an easy way to set pinion depth on the diff without assembling and disassembling 100 times and buying about 10 of those crush washers to set pinion preload.

Can someone steer me in the right direction for the best method of setting up a new pinion gear in this housing?

Assume that I have all of the measuring equipment needed. I’ve got quite the collection of dial indicators, depth micrometers, regular micrometers, etc. for my other hobby of machining. I’m just out of my element on rear differentials.

Thanks in advance.

Bump. Nothing???

Comment

Assemble the diff and check tooth contact. Then adjust pinjon height according to how the tooth contact pattern looks like by taking it apart and changing the shimms. BMW documentation tells how to do that. After 3-4 tries it normally settles in to right tooth contact. Very tedious and time consuming to do.

Comment

Working...
      X