Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Hey everyone!

This thread is where I'll post my progress on my 1990 BMW E30 325iX Touring.

Info about the car
    Type Code AG95
    E Series E30 (5)
    Series 3
    Type TOUR
    Model 325IX (EUR)
    Steering LL
    Doors 5
    Engine M20
    Displacement 2.50
    Power 141
    Drive ALLR
    Transmission MECH
    Colour LAZURBLAU METALLIC (294)
    Upholstery (0269)
    Prod. Date 1990-01-03

Options
    L801A National version Germany/Austria
    S240A Leather steering wheel
    S288A BMW light alloy wheel, cross spoke 29
    S314A Door mirror / driver's lock, heated
    S320A Deleted, model lettering
    S354A Green windscreen, green shade band
    S400A Slide/tilt sunroof, manual
    S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit
    S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
    S498A Headrests, rear, mechanically adjustable
    S510A Headlight aim control
    S530A Air conditioning
    S556A Outdoor temperature indicator
    S570A Reinforced power supply
    S655A Radio Bavaria C Business
    S681A Roof antenna
    S690A Cassette holder
    S940A special equipment BMW Individual

Background
    Short introduction about myself; My name is Martijn and I am from Belgium. I've been restoring a Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1liter and also started restoring a BMW 2002 Touring. I've been looking for an E30 for a while now to use as a daily. It all started when a friend came to visit with his Malachite Green 320i Touring. We took it out for a drive and that was when I was sold, that straight six sounded so good! I had to have one. So the search begun...

After searching in Belgium, I decided to also look in Germany as there are plenty for sale over there. I knew that I wanted a 320i or a 325i but I stumbled upon an 325iX Touring. Love at first sight. After contacting the seller and messaging back and forth. We came to a deal. He had also kept a ton of receipts of part he bought when servicing the car, big plus. The car had done 242416km.

The previous owner had also installed the rear view mirror with map lights, original Bavaria C radio as it was missing before & regular offset BBS 15inch wheels. However he still had the original IX 15" alloy wheels with winter tires. He switched the airconditioning system over from R12 to R143a. And finally, the original cilinder head cracked so he replaced it with an AMC head & timing belt, waterpump... This was roughly 2500km ago.

The Touring was located roughly 500km from where I lived, luckily my uncle (picture below) didn't have any problems driving this far to get the car.
    After checking out the fluids, general shape of the body work and performing the test where you jack up one of the front wheels to test the condition of the viscous coupling all was good. The previous owner did tell me he had repaired the front corners of the floor. (I later found out quite poorly..) We went for a test drive, I tested all electronics and they all works, Aircon was blowing cold air, both front seats heated up etc.. So, I bought it :)

However, before I was able to inspect and register the Touring as my daily, I needed to go the the main BMW dealer in Belgium to get a CoC (Certificate of Conformity). This was something I know before buying the Touring though.

Halfway point when driving the car home, checking the ratchet straps.

Car sitting on our driveway :)

And sitting with the Golf mk1 my brother and I restored to factory condition

First order of business, some small maintenance.
    I got and replaced; air, fuel and oil filter. Replaced the oil with 10-W40 oil. Also the coolant got replaced. I cleaned out the expansion tank as well since there was some slight sludge in there. (Probably from when the cracked the old cilinder head)

While replacing the fuel filter I also went ahead and replaced the rubber fuel lines. I'll be replacing the metal fuel lines too later on as they have seen better days.

Sparkplugs seemed to look ok.

That's it for now.

I still have some stuff to figure out like the central locking that doesn't fully work, still need to adjust the valves and have a look at readjusting the handbrake.
    Last edited by D.Martijn; 08-19-2018, 09:44 AM.
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Nice swallow tail golf !. Send me some cobbles stones. Reminds me of Netherlands, when I lived there years ago, or for that matter the Paris Roubaix race.

Nice Looking Touring and great first post, How did you hear about R3V? Seems to be the expanding site for E30's these days.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I so want a E30 Touring, ix for my daily...
      Would be so choice to pull up with E30 Touring hauling my E30 Rack/Weekend car.
      1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
      2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
      2008 Scion xB Lowered
      2001 BMW 325i
      1995 BMW 318ti
      1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
      1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

I love how that color looks on your car! What are your plans for it?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
          Nice swallow tail golf !. Send me some cobbles stones. Reminds me of Netherlands, when I lived there years ago, or for that matter the Paris Roubaix race.

Nice Looking Touring and great first post, How did you hear about R3V? Seems to be the expanding site for E30's these days.
          Thank you! Not quite a swallow tail though, just a regular series 1 (short lights).
          If you are interested I have a full blog on this one as well, I suggest reading this with a cup of coffee or a beer ;)

Ah yes, the cobble stones.. Might look great but it's a PITA to work on then working on a car..

Thanks for the comment, whenever I look at the car it brings a smile to my face haha.

I've been googling quite a bit about the E30 last few weeks and I always end up with the R3V forum so I thought it was an good idea to register here :)

Originally posted by b-rad View Post
          I so want a E30 Touring, ix for my daily...
          Would be so choice to pull up with E30 Touring hauling my E30 Rack/Weekend car.
          Yes, I too love the tourings also. In my opinion much more practical than a regular sedan as a daily. Currently also busy with restoring an 2002 Touring (note, again a Touring ;) )

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
          I love how that color looks on your car! What are your plans for it?
          Thank you, color is Lazurblau Metallic. I'm planning on keeping it fairly stock.
          Currently there are Bilstein shocks in the rear and when going through all the receipts I noticed the fronts were not that long ago changed with regular Sachs shocks. Not sure if I should change the fronts to Bilsteins or the rear to Sachs.

Other than that, just tidying it up, giving the engine bay a proper clean etc.
          I'm sure I'll make a ton more posts here :up:

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

man i want an ix touring so bad. love it and the color!
            www.instagram.com/snwmble
            #snwmble

Current:
            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
              man i want an ix touring so bad. love it and the color!
              Thank you! I guess these are pretty rare over in the US?
              When I was looking for one, there were 20-ish ix tourings available, of course some better than others. :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                Thank you! I guess these are pretty rare over in the US?
                When I was looking for one, there were 20-ish ix tourings available, of course some better than others. :)
                So rare they never brought any over here. There are a couple I know of here in the states from recent imports, but they were only available over by you.
                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                #snwmble

Current:
                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                  So rare they never brought any over here. There are a couple I know of here in the states from recent imports, but they were only available over by you.
                  Looks like it's the same thing like the BMW (e6) 2002 Touring, wasn't available in the time in the US..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Very nice looking lazurblau! I guess that it has lowering springs as well as it looks lower than my lazurblau (which is sedan iX, though)? Very nice...
                    --
                    My 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by H-M View Post
                      Very nice looking lazurblau! I guess that it has lowering springs as well as it looks lower than my lazurblau (which is sedan iX, though)? Very nice...
                      Thank you! I hope not as it has to pass for the certificate of conformity, here in Belgium. This way I can register it as a daily. Every BMW before 1996 never had a conformity certificate in Germany. To pass it, the car must not be lowered, wider track... in other words, it must be stock.

How much miles does you ix have? Maybe mine settled a bit more over the years?

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I went ahead and adjusted the valves.
                        I've never did this but it looks like the previous owner did a good job when he replace the cylinder head 2000ish km ago. As all valves still had 0,25mm clearance and slight drag.

Before taking of the valve cover I put some tape on the spark plug wires so I wouldn't mix them up. I also did the same for the spark plugs.

Valve train also looked very good!

Also took some pictures of the interior, (actually forgot the seats haha, I'll post these later!)
                        I might change the airbag steering wheel to the regelar sport steering wheel.

Dash has no cracks! The little screen for the radio doesn't work anymore, the screen for the temp/time&date has also seen better days but still readable.

Engine compartiment is relatively clean, stil has some of the yellowish residue left. I'll have to replace the insulation on the hood as it's crumbling down

My brother couldn't resist and polish a part of the front fender, no more washing scratches :)
                        Last edited by D.Martijn; 07-06-2017, 09:28 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Beautiful touring, been looking at them myself in Germany and most of them are in pretty rough shape. Have fun with it!

leuk speelgoed, gaat hij met sneeuw en ijs ook buitenkomen?
                          Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
                            Beautiful touring, been looking at them myself in Germany and most of them are in pretty rough shape. Have fun with it!

leuk speelgoed, gaat hij met sneeuw en ijs ook buitenkomen?
                            Thanks! Yes, I think I got last good Touring for a reasonable price.
                            All others are in a rough shape or they are pretty expensive..

Ja, ik denk dat ik er wel nog redelijk wat plezier ga met beleven :) Wie weet wel ja.. nog wat tijd om te beslissen..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I had an appointment to get the Certificate of Conformity.
                              It was a 70km trip to the BMW BeLux head dealership/import of Belgium.

The guy confirmed that the engine is still the original one that came with the car. He also said it was in exeptional condition despite the 240k kms on the odometer.

After some paper work, I received the coc of my Touring. All that's left is now going to the car inspection center for a technical examination so I can get it registered. :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X