N54 swaps now possible :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N54 swaps now possible :)

Just tested an EWS4 delete for MSD80 (MSV80 and MSD81 would work too). Kassel Performance has an E91 with an N54 swap that was the test mule - random Ebay DME, no coding, just an OBD flash, and it started right up. :)

Maybe we need an N-series swap forum now? :p
    Last edited by nando; 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

In for N52! [emoji16]

Comment

it's been like 3 years since the N52 was possible. The problem is the oil pan/subframe for RWD cars. But maybe with interest from the N54 that could be solved? the oil pans are the same.

N55/S55 could probably be done too but I haven't looked at those DMEs at all yet. They are still TriCore / EWS4 though, so maybe similar.

Good news is BMW made a billion cars with these engines and most of them are worth like $6000 in running condition. Engines should be relatively cheap, the best value is probably buying a whole salvage car and parting it out..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Dang, that'd be a pretty sweet swap! The N54 also came with a pretty burly transmission that can take a lot of power too.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Hey that's great news! I'm sure this will spawn a bunch of N54 e30's. That said, the N52 NA power is pretty darn perfect for the e30.

Comment

Wow. Real cool.

Not period correct but it is a great way to keep E30s fresh.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Meh - an N54 weighs about as much as an M42, and makes more than double the HP bone stock. :)

I'm all about keeping original E30s, but this is like 10000 times better than an M50 swap, which adds weight but not a lot more power.. it's just easier because nobody has done it yet.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wait! Since I'm running the M54 I already have the oil pan and subfame to accommodate??

What about the direct injection? Room for turbos/intercooler?

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
                  Hey that's great news! I'm sure this will spawn a bunch of N54 e30's. That said, the N52 NA power is pretty darn perfect for the e30.
                  Would LOVE to see a Dyno of this!

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                    Wait! Since I'm running the M54 I already have the oil pan and subfame to accommodate??

What about the direct injection? Room for turbos/intercooler?
                    Your oil pan won't work, the N5x is completely different (2 piece block with bedplate design). But having the subframe modified already makes it easier.

No idea on the other issues, but they seem solvable - just plumbing issues.

There's always the N52 - lightest BMW I6 ever and capable of 250+whp with stock internals.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Good news is BMW made a billion cars with these engines and most of them are worth like $6000 in running condition. Engines should be relatively cheap, the best value is probably buying a whole salvage car and parting it out..
                      I wish the newer BMW's would be that cheap here too. In Finland you can maybe have working N54 engine for that 6000usd..... Whole car is 3-6 times that...

Comment

That has to do with the tax structure right? it's really expensive to own an engine with 3 liters?

I saw a running 335i a week ago for $2k. lol. I think the trans was bad, but still..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Is the DME looking for any type of signal from the DSC module or other body modules?

What I'm asking here is, isn't this is a first step in making the N54 swap slightly easier rather than the swap being completely self-contained?

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

yeah, but all you need to do is delete the DTCs. That is trivial. The DME will run fine 'standalone'.

The hardest part would probably be the subframe/oil pan and plumbing the HPFP. Since it's direct injection, I think it runs at something like 5000psi (instead of 50psi for the N52). But all you really need is a good lift pump, the actual HPFP is external to the tank IIRC.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              yeah, but all you need to do is delete the DTCs. That is trivial. The DME will run fine 'standalone'.

The hardest part would probably be the subframe/oil pan and plumbing the HPFP. Since it's direct injection, I think it runs at something like 5000psi (instead of 50psi for the N52). But all you really need is a good lift pump, the actual HPFP is external to the tank IIRC.

Yeah, the supplemental (high pressure) pump mounts to the block. There are lots of coolers for that engine to consider as well. Oil, radiator, intercooler, and condenser if you want AC. The water pump and thermostat being located by the exhaust system with the turbos will also be a constraint to overcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X