Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good is a BMW dealer/garage repaint? (for Henna Red M3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is a BMW dealer/garage repaint? (for Henna Red M3)

Hey all!

This is my first post as a member, and yes I looked at many previous threads before posting this. I am taking delivery of a just purchased 87' Hella Red e30 M3 this comming week. The only major problem is that the car needs a full repaint and some bodywork, no rust but lots of fading and some pealing. The only bodywork is a few small dings.
    I have already inquired at many quality paint shops, however I just found out that BMW offerd me a 2K less estimate. My question is three part,
    a) how good is a BMW repaint?
    b) does anyone know of good paint shops in Ontario or Quebec (Canada)?
    c) I will store the car in November so is it better to wait till the spring?

I hope to post pictures in the next weeks, This forum is kick-ass!

Ps: my name is Chris.

Firstly Chris.... If you're taking delivery of your new M3 this week... you may wish to know the correct color name. ;)

Henna Red. Which, btw, is a very awesome color!

If it is a BMW factory paint operation, I would trust them. However, the best thing to do is ask to see finalized example of their work. Do this for all the paint shops you are looking at.

welcome, also you may wish to register on www.S14.net it will have more E30 M3 topical information that you can gain wisdom from.

Cheers,
    Chris Langsten
    Below the radar...

Comment

Boy was that stupid... of course its Henna Red (guess my mind was somewhere else!). The problem is they don't repaint many e30's in Henna Red so it is difficult to really evaluate the outcome.

Thanks, ...what about the time, now or spring? As I noted earlier I plan to store the car over the winter. The shop said it would be better now (less wait, probably cheaper too) but maybe its better to wait till after the spring?

Comment

dont most dealerships just take the car and outsource it to a local paintshop anyway?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MontrealM3
          Boy was that stupid... of course its Henna Red (guess my mind was somewhere else!). The problem is they don't repaint many e30's in Henna Red so it is difficult to really evaluate the outcome.

Thanks, ...what about the time, now or spring? As I noted earlier I plan to store the car over the winter. The shop said it would be better now (less wait, probably cheaper too) but maybe its better to wait till after the spring?
          I didnt expect them to have many Henna Examples. I meant, look at the over-all quality of their paint jobs. Look at the finish, do they tape the cars off cleanly or is there over-spray? How much of a smooth mirror finish does the paint have, or does it look like the skin of an orange?

I'd paint it now. My understanding is a good high quality paint job can take up to 60 days to fully harden 100%. After 1-2 days its "hard" but it takes a good deal of time to become 100%. If you paint it now, and the car sits in the garage under a cover all winter, that might be best. Is it a heated garage?

From my experience... (dealing with customers cars & body work) having the car in thre now for paint is better than waiting. As winter progresses, shops get more & more back-logged from winter accidents & insurance work. They'll still be dealing with this in spring time.

HTH,
          Chris
          Below the radar...

Comment

I much appreciate your advice! I will perform a visual check as you suggested next week and then (if all is in order) I will have it repainted when my EVO II splitter arrives.
            Once again, thx.
            chris.

Comment

Working...
            X