E36 5 lug swap WITH DETAILS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=I guess you aren't trying to fit huge tyres in then either??[/quote]

Correct, I've gone for 17x7.5 on the front (E36 m3 split spoke copies) with a 205/45x 17 tyres.

Probably should be running a 40 profile but it does fit, and the tyre clears the coilovers by about 7-8mm (should be enough?) Will put 235's on the back though.

Comment

You wheels must have a high offset (47-50??) for a 205/45 on a 17x7.5" to be 7-8mm from the coil overs.
      With the 245's on the front I have about that much space with 17x8" et38.

What engine are you running?? 235/40's for the rear I presume?? Hope the 205's aren't to skinny or it will be understeer city.
      292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Running the stock 323i auto at the moment. Looking to go to a twin cam six in future.

The rim offset should be as per the norm I'd think, they sit nicely inside the lip of the front fender, (same at the rear), no rolling should be needed. I did make of the coilovers using the stock Boge E36 units, cut the top, welded on a collar and used a koni insert, With the springs I've currently got, it sits the collar about half way up the tyre, I probably should get a shorter spring, then I'd have more clearance to the strut body and then 225's on front shouldn't be a problem.

What width tyre was standard on the front of the E30. 195??

I'll be getting the rims and tyres on in the next week so will post some pics when I can, to show you the result.

Comment

I look forward to the pics.

Just stick with 215/45 all round if you're not running lots of HP, at least you can swap them front to back then.

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti
            I wouldn't run slotted CA mounts, you get more than stock castor with +96 M3 CA's & offset CAB's without the risk of them moving under heavy breaking, just so the wheel "Looks" centered in the well, if you are dong this mod for looks you are doing it for the wrong reason, but, to each their own I guess.
            mine rubs like shit when I turn the wheel
            edit: on the frame rail, a hammer won't cure that :!:

Comment

Yeah mine still rubs on the chassis rail at full lock, nothing you can do with-out adding steering stops (BMW & Turner MS do them).
              I meant the foot well can be dealt to with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                ...a hammer won't cure that :!:
                Duh, get a bigger hammer.

Comment

Hi.

Im a new member from the UK and I am looking at doing the 5 lug conversion on my 1991 325i Sport.

I know the two options for the front are E36 or E30 M3 struts, but Im confused about the back.
                  I know about using the Z3 parts but the part numbers for E30 M3 and non M3 rear trailing arms, wheel bearings, lock rings and collar nuts are the same, so isnt the E30 M3 rear wheel hub or drive flange just a sraight swap? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

James

James
                  325i S50

Comment

Yes it is (unless you have a pre-'87 which have slightly smaller bearings).
                    But, finding complete front struts is the HARD part, esp. at a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
                    X