E36 Suspension and brake swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 Suspension and brake swap

I want five lugs, bigger brakes, and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for an E30 M3 suspension. I want to do the E36/318ti brake and suspension swap, but I have limited information. Here's some info I got from someone who has done this swap:

Basicaly we took the front strut and hub assembly off a E36 and bolted it on. You need a couple of things. Don't throw out the strut ower mounts as the bolt pattern isn't the same between the two platforms. You will also need the M3 offset control arm bushing as the caster will be way off. We had to do some fender well "modification" to make the 17" wheels and tires fit. I don't know about ride hight using stock springs as we are using GC coil-overs. That may be off as well.

The rear is simpler, but harder to install. Just get the whole trailing arm/hub assembly off a 318ti or Z3/MZ3/M coupe. Pretty straight forward. The 318 rotors are solid and the Z3/MZ3/M coupe are vented, FYI.

No changes need to be made to the booster or master cylinder. We even have a smaller 320 booster as we have the M50 conversion, and there are no problems with pedel travel or feel.
    Can anyone provide more details?

The E36 suspension/brake swap is a topic that was tossed around to a great extent on E3S for a while. However, (I believe) the data has been lost when the site was revamped last month....and now gone for good with that sites' closure. The info you highlighted essentially outlines the basics.

Stu, a member on here, is in the process of doing this very conversion to his 318is (along with a 3.0L twin-cam motor). He plans on doing a complete write-up about how its done, but don't expect it for a while. Presently he is in college so that is taking up a good portion of his time.

Just hang around. It will be brought up again and questions will be answered.

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

So how much in parts does this cost?

Comment

Originally posted by 808BMW
        So how much in parts does this cost?
        That can vary greatly. It depends on the condition of the parts, who you buy them from (some realize what they're worth while others do not), and if you buy it all together or piece by piece.

Its difficult to nail down even a ballpark figure because of the variables I've mentioned above. Try making some calls to local BMW dismantlers in your area and get some prices. Also check internet classifieds and E-Bay.

Jon
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I was going to search the bay, but I'll just wait until more info is found (like a complete parts list).

I don't have any BMW dismantlers in my area, nor any junkyards. I don't even have a dealer. Also, parts cost an arm and a leg to ship here, so I'm just trying to gauge total weight of everything, and figure some shipping :P

Comment

i personally would consider just buying an E36 parts car from a boneyard or sumthing like that.

Just an idea.

Comment

Working...
            X