Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plz can you guys answer the questions?

Comment

Seriously Yoshi? What makes an e30 slide best is you.

Everyone has different tastes in what they like in their drift car... I remember seeing some Corollas that were set up for understeer-central, yet someone seemed to like it, because he did pretty good sideways with it. The same way as some people might like cars that'll break traction and oversteer by doing no more than farting the wrong direction.

There's really no "perfect" universal setup.

For those who are just starting with drifting, I think a 450f/550r rate setup will do more than fine, especially if it's a newcomer who uses his e30 as a daily.

All other tips and tricks mentioned beforehand should also be considered (such as sways, etc)

But after enough practice, most people will have a much better idea of whats perfect for them.

I could let you drive my e30 (if it ever runs without erupting half of Japan's volcanoes) and you might hate the setup, but it works great for me.

Just sayin...
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Looks like terminal oversteer. ;-)

Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Erick View Post
          Seriously Yoshi? What makes an e30 slide best is you.

Everyone has different tastes in what they like in their drift car... I remember seeing some Corollas that were set up for understeer-central, yet someone seemed to like it, because he did pretty good sideways with it. The same way as some people might like cars that'll break traction and oversteer by doing no more than farting the wrong direction.

There's really no "perfect" universal setup.

For those who are just starting with drifting, I think a 450f/550r rate setup will do more than fine, especially if it's a newcomer who uses his e30 as a daily.

All other tips and tricks mentioned beforehand should also be considered (such as sways, etc)

But after enough practice, most people will have a much better idea of whats perfect for them.

I could let you drive my e30 (if it ever runs without erupting half of Japan's volcanoes) and you might hate the setup, but it works great for me.

Just sayin...
          True but how do you know what works? seeing what works for other ppl! Maybe I want to take something from someone else's setup. Maybe there is a common mod we all do that makes things easier. I'd like to know and compile the info for others to see. This isn't meant for just my benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by NuthinFancy View Post
            Everything said here was perfect. And all true from personal experience from mostly canyon drifting e30's.

This was Xmas 09 with some friends

Turnbull canyon?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

ok bilsten sport all around.
              IE springs
              sways
              welded diff
              2,7 stroker
              no ac no power stering
              lil more stufffff...... wut do u think about welded diff

Comment

i dont do it every event or anything but i have some fun with it. i just run billie sports and h&r race's. 4.10 lsd, and a z3 1.9 shifter, and 185's in the rear with like 60psi. i dont want to build my e30 for a straight drift car, i like a great driving car too, but thats what i like.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sesco8 View Post
                  wut do u think about welded diff
                  theyre good for just sliding but suck on the street, and dont usually last long.
                  sigpic

Comment

I LOVED my welded in my s13. I havent been able to drive one in a e30 though.

Yoshi link up with local e30 drifters and make friends. Best thing you can do is ask to take their car for a run. Most of the time people are cool about it if your cool with them. At least down here people are cool with it.

Comment

I went to a drift a few summers ago, ran my car as follows and it did the job just fine for being what it was.

Drivetrain:

Stock m20b25/Getrag 260/2:93 lsd..yes, you read that correctly, a 2:93 haha. 3" exhaust.

Suspension was as follows :

Koni adjustables, fronts were set to full rebound as were the rears. Ran no rear sway. Car had vogtland springs..~300 some pounders. Kumho 712 205/55/15's in the front- 32psi, crappy Good-Year 195/65/14 all seasons untill they were shot, then switched to 185/14's in the rear - 50 psi. Front had 15mm spacers with et 35 wheels, ran b-caps in the rear with 20mm spacers. Car had a 95 M3 rack in it as well, which helped GOBS. Poly subframe/trailing arm bushings. Toe eccentric kit set to 1/16" toe in.

Overall the car handled well in all aspects, especially being the fact that the car was built with the intent of being a drift car. Sure, it could've been a tad lower for better roll center, but it did fantastic just the way it was. The suspension was fair, the shocks made up for the lack of spring rate in a sense, as in entering a turn at 60 and holding an angle through it was no prob. I would've definitely ran a 3:73lsd in lou of the 2:93, with this gear ratio and an N/A M20, there was simply too much car to push. Steering response was top notch with the 95 M3 rack, I couldn't imagine doing it with anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                        theyre good for just sliding but suck on the street, and dont usually last long.
                        they last pretty long if the person who welds it does a good job. There's not much to it, but you can't just have slag all over the spider gears. it's still welding. As long as you're not pushing gob loads of torque you shouldn't have to worry.

Personally, I wouldn't drive a car that has 100% lock all the time on the street just because of rain and shit. Welded diffs are good for two things: straight lines and getting sideways.

I've only done one drift event in the e30, I think it's pretty understeery, but everything is factory except the clutch and the diff. I pumped up the tires in the front and it helped a little, but it's difficult to say with so much body roll. You can drift almost anything if you got the balls to throw it in the corner hard enough. I needed to feint the hell out of the car to get it sideways, and the power wasn't there. I think with any 6cyl e30 it shouldn't be a problem, even on stock suspension.
                        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

wut do u think about a welded diff????

Comment

a good 2 way diff will usually out perform it. a friend of mine could not manji with a locked diff but could when he hopped into a car with a 2 way. Similar cars with similar setups. They were both s13s, one had a SR, the other a KA-T.
                            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

for what its worth Ive had very good luck with welded diffs.

Full lock all the time is completely insane. If you do this be careful on the streets especially when its wet out or youll find yourself counter steering around every corner in town.

also ppl look at you weird when your make slow turns in parking lots haha
                              like wtf is wrong with that car?

change the fluid every 3k with something cheap and slide the shit out of your car. My welded diffs have lasted some 15k miles and I beat the piss out of em

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                              Ig:ryno_pzk
                              I like the tuna here.
                              Originally posted by lambo
                              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

ok bilsten sport all around.
                                IE springs
                                sways
                                welded diff
                                2,7 stroker
                                no ac no power stering
                                lil more stufffff...... wut do u think about welded diff
                                What brand sways? how did it slide? I find IE3 springs aren't stiff enough. What do you think?

Originally posted by e30 gangsta View Post
                                I LOVED my welded in my s13. I havent been able to drive one in a e30 though.

Yoshi link up with local e30 drifters and make friends. Best thing you can do is ask to take their car for a run. Most of the time people are cool about it if your cool with them. At least down here people are cool with it.
                                Local e30 drifters? That's me and like 1 other guy. The rest I made.

The point isn't to find a setup for me. I want to learn what works and what doesn't work. I like dabbling in theory and seeing how things tick. EG no rear sway seems to be a god send on most trailing arm drift cars. But only 1 person so far has done that. Little gems like that you can find easier online with a larger sample.

Should read my stock diff rebuild thread: http://e30performance.info/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=939

I packed 4 clutches into mine. Also raised lockup with some porsche dog ear plates.

Comment

Working...
                                X