No announcement yet.

SCCA STX E30 Build/Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiya! I'm also running an '89 in STX in the Atlanta region. After running the car the past two years in this class it's becoming plainly obvious to me that I can build a car that will handle as well as anything else in class, but at the end of the day the m20 just doesn't have the power to make the E30 a winning chassis.

Comment

I've seen people swear up and down on the internet that early, base RX-8s are closer to 2500 lbs. from the factory. Was STX weighed at Nationals this year? That would give you a good idea on how you stack up. Can you really get the E30 to 2500+ lbs. in STX? (I really need to ask Alex what he got his DSP E30 down to.)

Also, the internet swears up and down that the construction of the 195 Toyos that the Civics run is different from the other sizes. :?
      Ralph Zajac
      1989 DSP 325i

Any suspension -- no matter how poorly designed -- can be made to work reasonably well if you just stop it from moving.
      -- Colin Chapman

Comment

I will be watching this thread closely as I also run an E30 in STX and will be making many more improvements for next year to try and run down a top stop in STX nationaly.

Good luck man. Hope to see you at an event!
        Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cenotaph View Post
          .....Can you really get the E30 to 2500+ lbs. in STX?..... :?
          I run my E30 in DSP. I think on the scales it was on the upper end of 2500
          Last edited by bmwguy325is; 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM.
          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Right now I'm around 2630 and I have a ton of weight I can lose with another seat and lighter exhaust and wheels, etc... It can be done. Maybe not 2500 even, but low 2500 for sure.
            Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
            sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I didn't have much time when I posted last night. A quick run-down of what I am doing in the Atlanta region:

'89 325i, 2dr coupe
              3.73lsd
              225/45/15 Hankook RS3s on 15x8 Rota Slipstreams
              Ground control coilovers with GC camber plates over Bilstein Sport struts. Running spring rates of 450/550
              UUC polyurethane LCABs
              Stock front and rear sway bar. I've got new OEM front sway bar links, and I've opted to leave the old worn rear links in the rear.
              Stock drivetrain. Stock ECU, stock airbox, etc.

I'll admit, I've done nothing to combat weight on the car. If anything, I've added weight over the years. But even if my car went on a 300lb diet, I'm still not sure it would have the motor to keep up with some of the other cars I've been running against. Obviously, if the track is wet the WRX is the car to beat, hands down. But, I'm also getting beat by RX-8s and E36s now too. Before someone jumps to the conclusion that it's my driving, I've hopped into the dominant E36 in our area and went out and won the class my first time behind the wheel, so I feel like I've got decent car control.

Now.. the goods news for 2012 is that the Civics will not be running in STX. The proposed rules for '12 exclude them from our class.

And a video from this past weekend of my best run. This was about 2 seconds slower than quick time for the class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEf6N-eVDU

Comment

I guess ive come to the realization that the e30 cant win STX.
                Its impossible.

I should probably not dump a shit ton of money into it and just buy an rx8.
                1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by race2win View Post
                  Rear diffs must use stock final drive ratios...so it must stay 3.73 in these cars. However, you can use any limited slip unit within the stock case.
                  A few questions:
                  1. When you say "stock case," do you mean you can swap internals? In other words, is there anything that would stop you from swapping in 4.10:1 gears?
                  2. Is there a restriction in terms of track width? Would anything stop you from running low-offset wheels or using spacers to play with stagger?
                  3. Are you allowed to roll/pull fenders?
                  4. What kind of camber correction are you allowed?
                  5. What wheel sizes are you allowed? Is 15x7" the max?
                  6. Are you allowed roll protection? Not that you're going to rollover, but for the chassis stiffening.
                  Last edited by Emre; 09-27-2011, 10:43 AM.
                  sigpic
                  1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                  2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
                    A few questions:
                    1. When you say "stock case," do you mean you can swap internals? In other words, is there anything that would stop you from swapping in 4.10:1 gears?
                    2. Is there a restriction in terms of track width? Would anything stop you from running low-offset wheels or using spacers to play with stagger?
                    3. Are you allowed to roll/pull fenders?
                    4. What kind of camber correction are you allowed?
                    5. What wheel sizes are you allowed? Is 15x7" the max?
                    6. Are you allowed roll protection? Not that you're going to rollover, but for the chassis stiffening.
                    1. Stock case measn you can swap the LSD unit you can not change gears.
                    2. You can use spacers yes
                    3. Roll no pull
                    4.Any camber plate that fits in the oem location. So any camber plates out there for an E30. Its different on other cars.
                    5. Any size up 9.5inches wide
                    6. braces but a roll cage is way to much weight for little reward and yes you can do this in stock class if you want.
                    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche

Comment

Originally posted by Nygdup View Post
                      Ground control coilovers with GC camber plates over Bilstein Sport struts.

Make sure you are using the Ground Control "Street Prepared" camber/caster plates. They were designed with y'all in mind. If not, we can convert them.

Jay GC
                      Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                      Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                      Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Oh shit dude you're in San Ramon?
                        I worked on Alcosta over the summer.. we should all go for a drive sometime...

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

I've seen people swear up and down on the internet that early, base RX-8s are closer to 2500 lbs. from the factory. Was STX weighed at Nationals this year? That would give you a good idea on how you stack up. Can you really get the E30 to 2500+ lbs. in STX? (I really need to ask Alex what he got his DSP E30 down to.)
                          The top STX prepped RX8s ARE the early models & they are in the 27xx range...no RX8 was ever 2500 lbs stock, thats NC MX-5 Miata territory which is a much smaller car.

As some have said, 2500 for an E30 might be ambitious, but 25xx should be no problem. Doug Hitchcock told me his car is close to 2600, & still has a lot of heavy items that can be legally removed in the class. Even at 2600, the E30 is 200 lbs lighter than any E36, & at least 100 lbs lighter than the RX8 with more torque. That may not sound like much, but when you combine lighter weight with a much more narrow car, I promise it will get through transitions quicker if set-up correctly.

The way I see it is the E30 will be somewhat course dependant, tighter courses with slaloms & offests will be it's strength, so I intend to set the car up to take advantage of that strength.
                          Also, the internet swears up and down that the construction of the 195 Toyos that the Civics run is different from the other sizes. :?
                          Correct, all the top ST & STX Civics were on the 195 Toyo. The difference between the 195 & other sizes is that the compound is the same as it wears down. All other sizes apparently have a harder compound as the tire wears.

However, I must say, do you honestly feel the ST Civics are that fast just because of the tires? Or, just maybe, it has something to do with 8+ years of National developement & collaberation, between literally hundereds of drivers & many, many National Champions??

I understand what some of you are saying regarding the potential competitiveness of the E30 325 in STX, but no offense to those who have tried, throwing some springs/shocks/tires/wheels etc. at one of them for a season or two of regional racing to me isn't a fair comparison of what is possible. Someone mentioned the Vorshlag 318is build, & although there is some great info there, how can they draw the conclusion the car has no hope after one year of developement & one sub-par Nationals result?

Originally posted by InuFaye
                          I guess ive come to the realization that the e30 cant win STX.
                          Its impossible.

I should probably not dump a shit ton of money into it and just buy an rx8.
                          I'm sorry you feel that way, I hope to prove you wrong someday ;) One thing is for sure though, I will have my car built, including the cost of the car, for what it would take to just BUY a nice RX8!
                          Mark Scroggs

1985 528e 5-spd Cosmosblau
                          1988 325i/a 4D Bronzitbeige
                          2013 Ford Focus ST SCCA GS #49
                          2013 VW Tiguan SE 4-Motion

Past
                          1989 325i 2D Zinnoberrot
                          1991 318i 4D Alpinweiss
                          1987 325is Alpinweiss
                          1986 325es Zinnoberrot
                          1989 325is Diamantschwarz

Drag racing is for fast cars....
                          Autocrossing is for fast drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellabad View Post
                            Make sure you are using the Ground Control "Street Prepared" camber/caster plates. They were designed with y'all in mind. If not, we can convert them.

Jay GC
                            Hay Jay will your SP plates work with some Ohlins hmr's I think is what I have.

Comment

Hey race2win. We need to talk more about car setup and development. PM me your email so we can swap some ideas on what we have done and what may/ may not work in the future.

Looking forward to the 2012 season already even though my 2011 season isnt done yet. I have a ton of plans this winter for next year.
                              Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwguy325is View Post
                                Hay Jay will your SP plates work with some Ohlins hmr's I think is what I have.
                                Yes, if you have a Bilstein upper perch (aka any inverted strut). If not, we can just make them work.
                                Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                                Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                                Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Working...
                                X