M42 Chit Chat Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 Chit Chat Thread

M42 guys this is where we discuss and ask questions that are of course M42 related, with out making new threads for the small questions.

----

I'll start

what is the standard/practical M42 car exhaust replacement that is quiet, and muffler related has anyone done a e36 318 muffler on the e30? I owed a 1995 318i and loved the raspy sound. :D

I hope you guys like this thread idea
    Transaction Feedback: -click here
    [e30: '91 318is coupe|brilliantrot||e36: '98 318ti|fern green|California top|M-Tech]
    [URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300453"]

i like this idea

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

///M42 LOVE!!!!

I heard something like the E36 M3 exhaust sounds great on the M42 (not sure on the details)

After I get my maintenance out of the way, this summer I plan on getting the Borla Pro XS muffler.
      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

How does this sound. Sometimes I think it's too loud.

Comment

I think the M42 is kind of a pain in the ass for exhausts. I run 2-resonators and a dynomax super turbo (all 2.25") and it drones bad at 70. It's not raspy, though.

Comment

Personally, I really like the Supersprint cat-backs for this car. They have a mellow, sporty sound. The current ones no longer have a resonator and are a little louder than they used to be, but they sound good. Nevermind the high price, and the fact that you'll probably have to wait a year after ordering it to get it.....

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Worst thread idea evar! :hitler:

Seriously this is retarded. We either search current threads or make new ones to cover our needs.
              This thread is a waste of time.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

meh, I'm with you on that Teaguer.

On the exhaust bit, I ran a Magnaflow 11265 stainless muffler and the longest cherry bomb I could fit, along with a cat. The red burned off at the first track day, and it actually sounded really good. No rasp at all, nice deep tone, and didn't drone, though it was a bit loud for my taste.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

How much endplay is OK? I have enough to hear a click from the crankshaft when I pull and push on it. The engine is completely stripped to the rotating assembly. I know an M50 thrush bearing is a good idea but damn, I just bought every single gasket and seal new and just wanted to reseal the damn thing and swap it in.
                  For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                  Originally posted by mbonanni
                  I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Bowers View Post
                    I think the M42 is kind of a pain in the ass for exhausts. I run 2-resonators and a dynomax super turbo (all 2.25") and it drones bad at 70. It's not raspy, though.
                    resonators make shit drone.

Comment

I have the dynomax from stock resonator back and it sounds great.

-NICK

Comment

Threads like this are stupid because if anyone later wants to find the answer to a question, they have to search through a ton of pages just to find what they want. With a different thread for each question, it is much more organized.

Comment

I'm sure happy with my Super Sprint cat back. I would reccomend and I would buy another If I had to.

Comment

I have super turbo muffler with stock resonator, sounded a little loud for my taste. So what my muffler guy did to quiet the sound, he built it a silencer... he took a small piece of pipe and drilled many smaller holes in it....then inserted this built piece into the exhaust pipe and welded it there....
                            It looked similar to the silencer they use in the JDM cars with tuner type muffler.
                            Sound is actually very nice, quiet on the highway and a little bit deep louder than stock in the 2-4000rpm.

Comment

That's actually exactly how the exhaust on my old motorcycle works.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X