Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballpark price for e36/MZ3 5-lug swap???(just parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballpark price for e36/MZ3 5-lug swap???(just parts)

Subject says it all -

My M30 swap is almost ready to roll, so I guess it's time to start a budget for the next project. Seeing that my front control arm busshings are shot - breaks need some attention and I am putting in a bigger motor I think a 5-lug swap would be in order.

Has anyone budgeted with out using parts froma e36 m3 for the front and mz3 trailing arms in the rear?

What is the best source for such parts?

Thanks!

George Graves
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Re: Ballpark price for e36/MZ3 5-lug swap???(just parts)

My "Jordan" answer=

you have not done ANY research on this, have you??

I've NEVER heard of anyone using E36M3 parts for the fronts.

Seems like this has been beat to death on this and other boards (it's a DAILY question on ROACHFLY), why rehash it here??

Just my 0.02 scheckels.

Originally posted by george graves
    Subject says it all -

Has anyone budgeted with out using parts froma e36 m3 for the front and mz3 trailing arms in the rear?

George Graves

Comment

It really depends on where you get your parts from and what you get charged for them. I would say a really conservative estimate would be $1,500....but $2,000+ is probably a more reasonable figure (remember, you gotta buy wheels too).

Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Re: Ballpark price for e36/MZ3 5-lug swap???(just parts)

Originally posted by Rigmaster
        My "Jordan" answer=

you have not done ANY research on this, have you??

I've NEVER heard of anyone using E36M3 parts for the fronts.

Seems like this has been beat to death on this and other boards (it's a DAILY question on ROACHFLY), why rehash it here??

Just my 0.02 scheckels.
        why in the world couldn't you use e36 m3 parts for the front? Using standard e36 front knucles is common practice. E36 m3 stuff would work just the same, I', pretty sure that the steering knucles on an e36m3 and an mz3 are the same parts. Perhaps you shuld do your own research before telling somebody do to research. Last time I checked asking questions was a valid part of that research.

I am sure that cost is totally dependent on where you get your parts, if you can get a deal, ect.

Comment

(it's a DAILY question on ROACHFLY)
          ahhh - sorry for the somewhat re-post - I will do some more research - might even have to check out roadfly. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by george graves
            (it's a DAILY question on ROACHFLY)
            ahhh - sorry for the somewhat re-post - I will do some more research - might even have to check out roachfly. Thanks...
            George -

You can have E30 M3 bearings & hubs pressed into your existing 325i rear trailing arms. There, rear 5-lug is done. You'll have to modify brake plates and the e-brake mounts.

Front : E36 M3 bolts up, you'll have excessive caster and positive camber. Search for the topic started by Eric Lukas (LukasBMW) I think... he explains his swap using e36 m3 parts.
            Below the radar...

Comment

Thanks - yea, I've read that a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                You can have E30 M3 bearings & hubs pressed into your existing 325i rear trailing arms. There, rear 5-lug is done. You'll have to modify brake plates and the e-brake mounts.
                Seriously? That's it for the rear?

What has do be done on the front? (using E30 M3 parts)

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                  Entire front struts. M3 specific.
                  Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
                    Entire front struts. M3 specific.
                    Damn, that's so much easier than I've always been lead to believe. I guess the only hard part is getting the E30 M3 parts.

Comment

Ok - here a question - If I use e30 m3 parts up front - will e36 m3 10-spoke wheels fit perfectly - or will I still need spacers fill out the wheel wells???

Or a more general question - will wheels be positioned different on a e30 m3 5-lug swap than on a e36 m3 5-lug swap - OFFSET WISE....(not front to rear)

thanks!

Comment

I *think* the e36 setup will put the wheels further out in the fender wells.
                        I am not positive though.
                        Below the radar...

Comment

Dammit, there was a guy at the NW E30 Picnic that was selling the front strut assemblies and rear hubs for an E30 M3, I should have bought them. I had the money...

Comment

Dammit, there was a guy at the NW E30 Picnic that was selling the front strut assemblies and rear hubs for an E30 M3, I should have bought them. I had the money...
                            And no car to put them on! :) Buy the car, THEN mod it...

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

You mean I can't do it the other way around?

I know what you are saying TJ, it's one of those things that would have been good to buy and save.

Comment

Working...
                              X