325 to M3 trailing arm swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325 to M3 trailing arm swap?

I was at the shop with a friend today, and we were comparing the regular E30 325i
    trailing arm to the E30 M3 arm. they seem to be the exact same, except for a brake line holder. the question is, can you make a 325i trailing arm into a 5lug by pressing in the new hub? the sizes of the bearings and the mounting tabs for the caliper lookto be the exact same size. Is it possible, why does everyone use the arms from the E36? has anyone here tried it.

yes, yes you can, it's a known fact. buying the whole t-arm is easier for most people

Comment

Hmm that's friggin awesome..

what about pressing in E36/5 hubs? I'm just thinkin they'll be cheaper than M3 hubs right?
      1988 325iC - "Betty" - Daily Driver/Project Car.
      1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
      1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

Comment

As Bryson Said, Yes you can Press the M3 drive flanges in 325 T-arms.

People use the E36 rear arms because matching E36 fronts are needed, which are easier & cheaper to source than E30 M3 ones!!
        292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

thanks so much for the info! had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by E30-323ti
            As Bryson Said, Yes you can Press the M3 drive flanges in 325 T-arms.

People use the E36 rear arms because matching E36 fronts are needed, which are easier & cheaper to source than E30 M3 ones!!
            I do not understand about the front. Are e36 or e30m3 hubs needed only, or do you need the entire control arms + hubs + strut + spindle + whatever else? If so, why?

Why wont e36 or e30m3 hubs fit 4-lug e30 control arms/strut/spindle?

If e36/e30m3 hubs fit, then rotors redrilled for 5 lug would be all that's left.

Comment

because the mounts for the brakes are different..

redrilled rotors? why not just buy those 5 lug adapter plates then? :roll:
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                because the mounts for the brakes are different..

redrilled rotors? why not just buy those 5 lug adapter plates then? :roll:
                yea, absoutely hilarious

But why would I need different brakes? I'm talking about just the hubs with redrilled non-m3 rotors.

Comment

Do a search on 5lugs swaps and it will all become clear.

No the E30 M3 or E36 wheel bearings do not fit the tiny E30 spindal.
                  You just need the hubs & struts, but there are other issues if you use E36 parts.
                  292rwhp E30 :D

Comment

Re: 325 to M3 trailing arm swap?

Originally posted by mikeedler
                    I was at the shop with a friend today, and we were comparing the regular E30 325i
                    trailing arm to the E30 M3 arm. they seem to be the exact same, except for a brake line holder. the question is, can you make a 325i trailing arm into a 5lug by pressing in the new hub? the sizes of the bearings and the mounting tabs for the caliper lookto be the exact same size. Is it possible, why does everyone use the arms from the E36? has anyone here tried it.
                    you are correct, the e30 325 and e30m3 rear arms are the same. you can press in e30m3 bearings and hubs. note that you will need e30m3 calipers, rotors and pads. most people do the 5 lug for bigger brakes, redrilling 325 rotors kinda defeats the purpose. you may have some issues with the offset. the e30m3 will have a wheel offset near 24 while the z3 (e36 arms / brakes wont work) have an offset closer to 42.

Comment

Working...
                    X