Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist Finds

I found a crack-free dash on craigslist for dirt cheap. Well, it has a small 1/8" split in the passenger tray, which is almost undetectable. I'll fix that. Other than that it's mint. I ran a VIN decoder on the attached VIN and the dash came from another Alpine White '91 318is. Kind of a fun coincidence.

I don't plan to install this until the fall or winter. I recall reading that I can "soak" the dash in something to make it supple again and reduce the chances of cracking. Vaseline or something like that? If anyone knows what I'm talking about please reply or shoot me a PM!

I also contacted the Virginia DMV regarding swapping dashes and VIN plates. I got some information regarding forms and inspections, but after I found the recommended forms it turns out they are for salvage vehicles. I'll need to call back and get some clarification. I've heard horror stories about dash swaps resulting in "VIN tampering" charges. Perhaps I'm overly cautions, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited by mike.bmw; 08-01-2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Just swap out the vin plates man. You're doing too much unnecessary.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
        Saturday morning Katie's Cars and Coffee!

I met up with Sail Boat this morning. Always a pleasure to check out such a clean E30. An S52 swapped 318is also parked alongside. I met the owner of the S52 swapped car at the Mach V / Grassroots Motorsports Dyno day last week. Cool car!

So you met Andrew!!

Glad to see my old E30 (the 91 318is with S52, cage, 5-lug, etc.) is getting out and about!

You're car is beautiful btw.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
          x2

You arent doing anything shady. Put the correct VIN plate on the "new" dash and be done with it
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I was thinking the same thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
              Yeah, perhaps I'm being an idiot about the VIN tag. I'm considering getting the "new" dash leather wrapped so I won't have to worry about future cracking.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
              So you met Andrew!!

Glad to see my old E30 (the 91 318is with S52, cage, 5-lug, etc.) is getting out and about!

You're car is beautiful btw.
              Yeah, your old E30 is a cool car for sure. Thanks!

I took some local photos at sunrise this morning:

Comment

Once you get your new dash on there use a 303 protectant every couple of months and it should keep the UV from cracking your plastic for quite a long time. It also leaves it looking nice and clean without being shiny/sticky like Armorall or other products.

I was biking along the W&OD trail through there a couple of weeks ago, love the lighting in that caboose photo.

Comment

great shots :up:

Comment

Originally posted by cblais19 View Post
                    Once you get your new dash on there use a 303 protectant every couple of months and it should keep the UV from cracking your plastic for quite a long time. It also leaves it looking nice and clean without being shiny/sticky like Armorall or other products.

I was biking along the W&OD trail through there a couple of weeks ago, love the lighting in that caboose photo.
                    I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
                    great shots :up:
                    Thanks! I've really been enjoying your chip!

Comment

Mach V Motorsports / Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

I've been a big fan and customer of Mach V Motorsports in Sterling, VA for a long time. I've been a big fan and subscriber of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine for just as long. When I heard that they were having a dyno day event I really wanted to attend so I gave Mach V a call. I found out it had already booked up, but that I'd be #1 on the wait list.

Today was the event which was scheduled to start at 10AM. I arrived at 9:30AM and Dan offered to run my car on the dyno since I was early. Wooohoooo! Dan rocks.

It was really cool to talk with the Grassroots Motorsports folks. I've been reading their magazine for years, so it was nice to put handshakes with a faces. I talked about my car with Tim Suddard for a bit and he gave me some contact info for a few e30 parts sources in VA for some items I've been wanting to pick up. I also renewed my subscription for 2 years (got tired of going to the store to pick up the magazine).

I hung out for about 4 hours and talked to some old friends and some new acquaintances. A very fun day.

My 318is is mostly stock aside from Bosch Mustang fuel injectors (19#) and a SSSquid Stage 1 93 octane chip. The engine is original to the car and has 138K miles. The car made 119 hp and 110 torque to the rear wheels. That was consistent across 4 runs on the dyno. I'm quite happy with that!

Dyno Graph:

Dyno Video (Run #4):

Random photos:

nice. Dan is good people. I actually dyno'd my WRX there a few years back (261whp stock!) and that dyno is known to be about as accurate as it gets around here from everyone I've known who has been there. I should have brought the rally car out and had it done that day, totally forgot about it. My M42 is basically the same setup as yours.
                      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop
                      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                        nice. Dan is good people. I actually dyno'd my WRX there a few years back (261whp stock!) and that dyno is known to be about as accurate as it gets around here from everyone I've known who has been there. I should have brought the rally car out and had it done that day, totally forgot about it. My M42 is basically the same setup as yours.
                        Cool! Dan and the Mach V crew are fantastic. Also you and I have actually met a few times. I've owned a 2005 WRX Wagon and 2008 STI over the years. I think I've even bought a few parts off you. ;)

Speaking of the Mach V / GRM event that I posted about here...

Today I opened up the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine (October 2017) and was very excited to see a photo of my car. I've subscribed to the magazine since ~2000 and this was something I never fathomed would happen. Very exciting stuff for me. :D

Comment

I've always loved a white coupe E30 especially when it's in such a great condition like yours.
                          Keep up the good work!:up:
                          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                            I've always loved a white coupe E30 especially when it's in such a great condition like yours.
                            Keep up the good work!:up:
                            Thanks! I've really enjoyed following your touring thread. One of my favorite threads on R3V!

Comment

Thanks! I've really enjoyed following your touring thread. One of my favorite threads on R3V!
                              Thank you too man!
                              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Not much to report. I've been driving it a bunch. I'm planning to finish my suspension refresh in the next couple months with new front and rear mounts, new front and rear upper/lower spring pads, stock springs, Bilstein HDs, and new various washers/dust seals. I'm hoping to find some time to swap the dash as well.

Yesterday I gave both BMWs a good cleaning to include washing, waxing, and vacuuming.

This morning I hit up Katie's Cars & Coffee. I saw a few R3V members there. Great day for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X