No announcement yet.

Martin and the Ricer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going to have to remove the door card (super easy to do) to release the lock from the door.

For 4k, that looks fantastic. Don't think you overpaid at all.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

That metal shrapnel is from your timing chain tensioner. They explode sometimes, no bid deal lol.
      Good pickup, m42 cars are a blast, I have more fun in mine than I ever did in an m20 car.

Shit I need to start a build thread :/
      Hank Ahrens
      1984 Alpine Coupe
      1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
        That metal shrapnel is from your timing chain tensioner. They explode sometimes, no bid deal lol.
        Good pickup, m42 cars are a blast, I have more fun in mine than I ever did in an m20 car.

Shit I need to start a build thread :/
        I heard they're super cheap to replace at a shop. Is that true? My ticking must be from the tensioner then.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Musij View Post
          I heard they're super cheap to replace at a shop. Is that true? My ticking must be from the tensioner then.

That's not true at all. The timing chain tensioner is kind of a bitch, you have to tear down the front of your motor. It's within anyone's skill level, don't pay a shop to do it. Parts for it aren't cheap either. If it's a slight rattle and not as much of a tick, it'd be your timing chain.
          Hank Ahrens
          1984 Alpine Coupe
          1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
            That's not true at all. The timing chain tensioner is kind of a bitch, you have to tear down the front of your motor. It's within anyone's skill level, don't pay a shop to do it. Parts for it aren't cheap either. If it's a slight rattle and not as much of a tick, it'd be your timing chain.
            Edit: timing chain tensioner is easy, timing chain guides are a bitch
            Hank Ahrens
            1984 Alpine Coupe
            1978 911sc

Comment

So today marked the day to gut the car. It's gone great. Had to cut around the heat box. Absolutely no floor rust and just one broken part.

But I hit a road bump. Its super hard to remove the carpet around the base of the gas pedal. Has anyone been able to do it? The carpet is cut around the plastic base but it's so tight that it's super hard to pull off. I can't even imagine how hard it'll​ be to put back on.

Talking about putting it back on, I've started considering giving up on the carpet even though I'm so close. It seems like pulling it is hard enough, so putting it back will be hell I'm guessing.

I was planning on pulling it so I can spray it down with some carpet cleaner, scrubbing it with some soap and hot water and then power washing the heck out of the lifter dirt hoping for a brand new carpet.

Oh and some minor rust where the sun roof sits. Doesn't seem to be deep so Ima scratch the hell out of it to the metal and then spray it down with some rust repellant.

What do y'all think? Here's pics of the day.

My wife's a champ and was able to make the last cut where my hands just wouldn't fit
              There's some door cards before and after my wife cleaned them.
              Oh and WTB: inside door trims that I broke. Both sides.

Comment

RMEuropean sells brand new door handle trim pieces. Super fast shipping out to CA as well.

Carpet is tough. On big jobs like removing/replacing carpet, it is best to have a firm grasp of what needs to be done (i.e. read DIY's, others build threads, etc.) before you get started. If you've already started gutting the car, and that is your end goal, just pitch the carpet and rhino line the floorboards.

On another note, I always have the carpets of any car I purchase cleaned by a local professional carpet cleaning company. The carpet on my 288,000 mile Tundra was trashed (stained really) when I bought it. I pulled the seats, paid the guy 60 bucks, and in 45 minutes I had brand new carpet (minus a couple of small wear spots, but overall it looks fantastic). Just as an option for the future, as its already a bit late here now.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I got the carpet out! Took advantage of the summer solace and did some extensive work today.

I couldn't get a hold of a power washer till later so I took advantage and vacuumed the inside of the car, cleaned the disgusting interior seals from the leaky back window and cleaned the almost as disgusting center console and... Middle console?

But then came what I've been waiting for. I got to do half the carpet. Used 409 carpet cleaner, hot water and soap, lots of scrubbing, power washed, and vacuumed. Can you tell the difference?

Comment

Getting shit done already, good as

As already mentioned, you have to pop the door card to remove the lock. Pretty easy once you get into it.
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Did he butcher hogs on the passenger side?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                        Did he butcher hogs on the passenger side?
                        Nah. Just humans.

Comment

Then that's ok.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                            Getting shit done already, good as

As already mentioned, you have to pop the door card to remove the lock. Pretty easy once you get into it.
                            Heck yeah dude!

I wish my budget would allow me to do a true full restoration, but alas, I'm trying to do as much as I can within my budget.

Comment

Can you post please the part number on that rear console/arm rest? How does it fit? Looks pretty close where it meets the center console.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                                Can you post please the part number on that rear console/arm rest? How does it fit? Looks pretty close where it meets the center console.
                                It's an E36 arm rest. I personally am not a fan of it. It fit horrible in the car when I bought it so I'm gonna buy a stock E30 one probably. However, my neighbor put one in his E30 and it actually fits snug! He told me he did some moldings for it and had to drill some new holes in.. so I might consider having him help me fit it. But yeah. E36 center console, sorry, I have no part number.

Comment

Working...
                                X