Bad Tire Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Tire Rub

Hello, Im new to this forum and I had a problem that I was wondering If anyone had a solution too.

I bought my e30 with used Bilsteins and Bavarian Auto springs, I recently purchased 16'' Style 5's with 18mm adapters for the front and 20mm adapters for the rear, after driving around for a few days I realized my tires were rubbing REALLY badly in the rear. After getting it on a lift I realized I could compress my shocks by hand, and id wanted to get rid of the crap springs anyway. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem as my rear sidewalls are now completely shredded due to the poke. Im not looking to buy coils due to cost (Im in High School). Im looking for a setup thats not insanely low and I dont mind a harsh ride. I was looking at B6 or B8 Bilsteins paired H&R Sport or OE Sport Springs.

Thanks

Where are the tyres rubbing? cause it sounds like your wheels are sticking out too much..

Comment

Outter side wall of the tire, and yes they are sticking out a decent amount

Comment

Those aren't really extreme springs, so the issue is offset. Shocks don't contribute any effect to ride height. They may be toast, but they're not pushing up or down at static height.

Less spacer, different wheels with less (higher number) wheel offset, swap to actual 5-lug hubs, or taller springs.

We have H&R Sports and it's perfect for everyday and real roads - but we have 7x15 wheels with ET12 offset. Take your actual wheel offset (should be cast into the back of the hub), and subtract the thickness of the spacers - this will give you your actual offset.

Comment

I realize that, at static height they're completely fine, sit in the car, and theres only about a quarter inch left till the tire comes in contact with the inner fender. For right now im not looking to swap to 5 lugs just yet but Im trying to see what the options are for a pretty stiff setup without slamming it

Comment

Replace your springs with lengths of 4"x4" square hollow section. Infinite spring rate Will solve your scrubbing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk_30 View Post
              I realize that, at static height they're completely fine, sit in the car, and theres only about a quarter inch left till the tire comes in contact with the inner fender. For right now im not looking to swap to 5 lugs just yet but Im trying to see what the options are for a pretty stiff setup without slamming it
              Your spring pads are probably shot or non-existent, and your spring rates are too soft. Shocks do very little when it comes to maximum suspension travel. Shocks dampen continued oscillations, but they don't do a whole lot for the initial distance traveled.

Your wheel offset is completely screwed up too, proper wheel fitment should let you tuck the rear wheels without scraping the sidewalls.

Your options for stiffness are very limited unless you go with a suspension setup from Ground Control or any of the other quality coilover manufacturers. H&R Sports or OE Sport are not stiff at all by the way, they're barely firmer than stock. If that's what you want, that's fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                Your spring pads are probably shot or non-existent, and your spring rates are too soft. Shocks do very little when it comes to maximum suspension travel. Shocks dampen continued oscillations, but they don't do a whole lot for the initial distance traveled.

Your wheel offset is completely screwed up too, proper wheel fitment should let you tuck the rear wheels without scraping the sidewalls.

Your options for stiffness are very limited unless you go with a suspension setup from Ground Control or any of the other quality coilover manufacturers. H&R Sports or OE Sport are not stiff at all by the way, they're barely firmer than stock. If that's what you want, that's fine though.
                Thanks for some actual help, I first realized the shocks were shot when I was replacing the spring pads with some from condor speed shop, Ive been doing some more research and coilovers seem like the way to go, its just gonna be awhile till I can buy them, Im still not sure what I can do about my tire fitment when I initially looked into fitting these wheels most people on the forums ran 18mm adapters in the front and 20mm in the rear unless they had a 5 lug conversion.

Comment

Put the 20mm adapters in front and 18mm's in the rear.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                    Put the 20mm adapters in front and 18mm's in the rear.
                    Will try this tonight

Comment

You have to roll/flare your fenders to get style 5's with adapters to tuck properly. Also a good tire size to make them fit is 205/45/16 or 205/50/16. But getting them to look good means your car has to be low. Esp with the 45 offset

the total offset of style 5's with adapters makes them not an ideal fitment for an e30

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Lets be clear here: Trying to solve clearance problems with springs and shocks is bad.

You have a geometry problem. Stiff springs and shocks may reduce rubbing, but they don’t solve it.

You can do a few things:
                        1) Get wheels that fit. (E36/E46 figment wheels are better offsets for use with adapters, or get some 4x100 wheels that fit.)
                        2) Redrill to eliminate the adapters.
                        3) Screw around with your fenders.
                        4) Camber. (It’s probably hard to get enough to make this work by itself without getting into stupid territory.)
                        5) Some combination of the above.
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Would anyone know how to get these redrilled

Comment

Take them to a machine shop. But it's sketchy. You aheva positive 3 offset, and e38 styles 5s are et23 from the factory. Roll your fenders, and get low. You'll be fine.
                            Hank Ahrens
                            1984 Alpine Coupe
                            1978 911sc

Comment

Thanks for the help, does anyone have a good bang for your buck coilover setup. For the most part Id be dailying this car but Id like to do a few weekend autocross sessions now and again

Comment

Working...
                              X