No announcement yet.

UUC DSSR headache...again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh believe me, I would have if the circumstances had been different.

I love everything AKG touches, they do top notch work and service is perfect and prompt every time, without fail.

I had money into the UUC rod already that I didn't want to lose. I support my girlfriend and myself on only my paycheck, so I have to make sure not a dollar is wasted. I was not aware at the time of ordering that AKG make a selector rod or I would have immediately went with that without blinking.

Unfortunately, UUC will not get my business ever again due to this nightmare.
    Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
    Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Comment

i have ordered a uuc "twisted" dssr about 4 weeks ago. still "backordered" indefinitely...

but, they have always answered the phone when i have called.

if it helps - i am local and would be willing to visit their shop if needed...
      1988 325 "super ETA" - Hilde - M52B28 swapped...
      1969 2002 - Griselda - 20VT AWP swap and full resto in progress...

sigpic

project blog - http://www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you very much for the offer Cynical, and also to the rest of you guys who have offered your assistance/solutions. I really love the camaraderie we have within the e30 and e36 crowds, it's a true blessing.

I got a hold of Rob finally, and he's going to cover the later e36 selector joint for me. That puts me at a 2mm difference as discussed, which is acceptable.

Just really silly how bad such a simple transaction became.

Comment

Thanks to you and this thread, I ordered the AKG unit instead of the UUC unit a couple months back. Happy with my choice, AKG are a great bunch, and the fitment was spot on.
          Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Good to hear!

Just to tidy this up, the late model e36 selector joint combined with the 187 DSSR worked great. I can't really tell it's 2mm off, but more than that may have caused interference issues or just looked way off.

All gears engage smoothly, I was able to take my e30 for a spin for the first time in over 6 months this last weekend. Thankful to have this mess over and have my car back.

I'm unsubscribing for now, but hopefully this can help others avoid the fiasco I went through, or urges others to just get the AKG piece which gets nothing but high praise.

Thank you everyone for your help, insight and kind offers.

Comment

Good to hear that worked. I'll let Rob know to recommend the later pivot and I'll post a note on my site too, the nice thing is that the later pivot is ~$15 cheaper than the earlier/shorter one. FYI, I've got one 187mm (non-twist) DSSR in stock now, if anyone needs one.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyke View Post
                Oh believe me, I would have if the circumstances had been different.

I love everything AKG touches, they do top notch work and service is perfect and prompt every time, without fail.

I had money into the UUC rod already that I didn't want to lose. I support my girlfriend and myself on only my paycheck, so I have to make sure not a dollar is wasted. I was not aware at the time of ordering that AKG make a selector rod or I would have immediately went with that without blinking.

Unfortunately, UUC will not get my business ever again due to this nightmare.
                i am very glad i read this, and i feel bad for you with all the BS you just endured, I also am a huge fan of AKG and there workmanship, its too bad they dont offer a twisted 24v rod, but i will have to deal, just glad i found out about this uuc bs before i ordered a product from them. anyone in this decade should respond via email.
                sigpicFellow e30 enthusiast
                Dont waste your time hating, aint nobody got time fo dat
                1986 bronzit 325es- SOLD
                1987 delphin 325i- parts car
                1990 scwarz 325is- m50 drift slut
                CHECK OUT THE BUILD!
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229234

Comment

never understood why someone didn't make these adjustable. You could easily make a threaded section in the middle that could be tightened with locking nuts just like tie rods or caster arms. Would allow you adjustments for different lengths and allow you to offset the end as needed for swaps.
                  Just a little project im working on
                  - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                    never understood why someone didn't make these adjustable. You could easily make a threaded section in the middle that could be tightened with locking nuts just like tie rods or caster arms. Would allow you adjustments for different lengths and allow you to offset the end as needed for swaps.
                    Cost? These things are already pricey.
                    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Adjustable ends work for control arms because the forces are just back and forth, there's no twisting forces. If you made a DSSR that way and one of the lock nuts loosened up from the twisting force, you'd be stuck with only 3rd and 4th gear until you crawled back under the car to tighten it back up.

Comment

How much force do you really think is going through a shift linkage that you can't stop with a simple case of double nuts or locking pin or grub screw. Hell, if you were that paranoid once you had it set in place and everything adjusted, you could use permanent thread locker.
                        Just a little project im working on
                        - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Working...
                        X